5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2009 8:27 AM by bshopp

Feature Requests

brian_crypto

Have been spending a bit of time with IPAM over the past week, importing many IPs, manually adding hundreds of subnets, etc.   

I am sure some of these are already covered in the wishlist and other threads, but if duplicated it at least will let you know that is yet one more customer desiring a feature.  

1)  Ability to define "named" ranges within a subnet.   I am sure there are other creative ways to do this, but essentially I want to identify certain addresses as belonging to a particular function.  For example, to clearly identify them as belonging to a DHCP scope.   A custom field could perhaps do this, but would like better visual representation, like a collapsable section.

2) Abiltity to multi-select IPs as a range instead of individually clicking the little checkboxes.

3) Abiltiy to subsquent edit common properties of multiple IPs (like custom fields).

4) Ability to set transient scan on a subnet-by-subnet basis (or range basis ... see comment 1). 

5) Expanding columsn for things like Display Name and Description ... they are current fixed ... we have wide screens and should be able to expand the columns to see all detail.   In fact, give us the ability to add columns to the left side view ... like custom properties.

6) I'd like to have the list of subnets display either a subnet name or the network address and sort correctly.  When creating a new subnet, the default is to assign a name that matches the IP network address / prefix.    I like this, but because it is a "name" field it doesn't sort as an intelligent IP Address field would (i.e. 10.10.x.x will be listed before 10.2.x.x).

7) Would like to double-click a single IP address to open the EDIT dialog.

8) Subnet Wizard, add a field for the "Name" of the supernet.  Currently this field isn't present and so the supernet is added with the supernet network address for the name ... meaning an additional edit afterwards.   Supernet fields should include the same as if you added it manually.

9) Subnet Wizard, subnet properties like VLAN ID just don't make sense here ... VLAN IDs are typically unique per subnet ... so expand the subnet list and allow users to make individual edits.  

10)  Groups within Supernets ... or something akin to  "named ranges" appying at the subnet level.  Consider for example a collection of three /23 nets that all share the common characteristic of "location".   It wouldn't be correct to place them all into a single /21 supernet that ommits one of the /23 as it really tells you something different.

11) Default global Scan Interval so I don't have to change it each time I add a subnet ... and get rid of the slider or add the ability to just enter a number directly.

12) Subnet Importing ...the wizard helps, but boy it would be nice to have a CSV import functio to include network address and prefix size.   And once that is done the ability to define a "supernet" and automatically list imported subnets for inclusion.

13) I *have* to have the ability to segment portions of address space for select users to have assignment capability while not allowing them access to others.

14) For as much as possible, tight integration with NPM ... for features like role assignment, IPAM should honor the limitations of the NPM account.    SNMP details should option synch between ... if I know the system name, description, contact, etc. from NPM I shouldn't have to do a separate scan to pull that into IPAM.

• Re: Feature Requests
          bshopp

Wow, this is awesome feedback!

#1 - this is an enhancement we have in the system already around the ability to define a subnet policy or template where these IP's are for static server, these are for DHCP etc.

#2 - Yep agree, another item we already have in the system to enhance

#3 - Same here, we have heard this from alot of ya'll and have a bug to address this in a future release

#4 - this enhancement is already in the system

#5 - We have a workaround for this currently, you can contact support to get it, but we need to address this in the UI

#6 - We have heard this as well, we are making some tweaks in a future release on this one

#7 - This is a new one.  Just want to reduce the amount of mouse clicks?

#8 - Makes sense, I will log this one into the system

#9 - Good feedback, I will log this into  the system

#10 - Can you expand on this one a little further?  

#11 - Have heard this one as well before, I will append you to the request

#12 - Same here, heard this one before and have it in the system

#13 - Do you just want to limit at the subnet, category, supernet level or sets of IP's within?  Do you want to give them a global role or different roles/permission at different points in IPAM?

#14 - Makes sense, tighter integration is something we for sure want to do in the future

This is awesome feedback,  please keep it coming.

brian_crypto

7) Yes ... seemed like an intuitive thing to do .. and keep finding myself wanting to do it.   After you have single-edited a bunch of IPs and you are bleary eyed focusing from the checkbox to the edit button is annoying, so double-click would just be "nice".

10) The current heirarchy largely assumes that you would assign all subnets within a supernet to a common purpose.   For example, if you have a /21 supernet you can divide that into 2 distinct /22 subnets or 4 distinct /23 subnets.    And that is great if your logical assignment of supernets and subnets matches the natural division created by subnetting.    But what if they don't?    In my case, the logical assignment is based upon geography.   And I have a site that consists of exactly three /19 subnets.  The adjacent /19 subnets are assigned to other sites.     So, in my hierarchy I can't use the "supernet" container itself to represent the three /19 subnets that together make up the one "site".    It would include, by definition, a subnet that doesn't logically belong to the "site".    Thus, I would like to take the three /19 address and "group" them ... they aren't a proper supernet but there is a relationship between them that make them go together.

13) A combination ... there are users who could potentially have access to a supernet or subnet.   And there are users who, for example, I would want to create a "range" ... for example "servers" and they would have the ability to reserve addresses and perform other functions within that range only.    I would think thier role would be global ... for example "IP Subnet Dude" would have the ability to perform scans, edit, and set status.   But I would want one person to be able to do this to subnet "Buffalo" and another person to do this to subnet "Toledo".    I would also want a role that allows a person to only make reservations and do so only to assigned IP ranges.

Thank you for your attention to the feedback! 

Peter.Cooper

Hello Brian,

I share Brandon's enthusiasm for the feedback, well done. I'm here to share a tip regarding #2. It isn't quite obvious, and thus Brandon's response.

2) Abiltity to multi-select IPs as a range instead of individually clicking the little checkboxes.

When doing multi-row selection, you can use the regular shift or control key modifiers as you would in Explorer. When you do this, don't click on the checkbox (far left in the row). Click empty space in the row, or text (that isn't linked). This works for any grid in the module.

Give it a try! If you find my instructions don't make sense, I'll figure out how to embed an annotated image. ;)

brian_crypto

When doing multi-row selection, you can use the regular shift or control key modifiers as you would in Explorer. When you do this, don't click on the checkbox (far left in the row). Click empty space in the row, or text (that isn't linked). This works for any grid in the module.

Give it a try! If you find my instructions don't make sense, I'll figure out how to embed an annotated image. ;)

Made perfect sense and works like a charm!  Thanks for the tip ... now if I could just *edit* all of those selected IPs.   ;-)