5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2009 3:26 PM by mramos

Several NPM Feature Requests

1. Add Actions for Alert Suppression

2. Add Ability to Acknowledging Alerts Via email response

3. Alert Emulator(something where the steps of an alert can be viewed for more
      granular and visible troubleshooting of the individual components of an alert)
      For example you can export and alert in a format that the emulator can import.
      Enter criteria for the alert conditions(such as which node is down, time of
      day, etc.) that the alert takes into consideration and click emulate and watch
      as step by step it displays the processing of conditions, the triggering of
      alerts, and the actions taken thorugh out the alert.

• Re: Several NPM Feature Requests
          denny.lecompte

1. Add Actions for Alert Suppression

Can you provide an example of how you would use this?

2. Add Ability to Acknowledging Alerts Via email response

Would a mobile page for alerts do the job?

1:I planned on using it to email my team when suprression has been activated on an alert and to provide details instructions via an action email and contact information specific to the site that the advanced alert is monitoring. For example we have different carriers for different remote sites and instead of having to dig up this information I could have it sent out to my team for even quicker response. It will also be great for testing when suppression is actually working as I have ran into some trouble getting suppression to work in the past months(I have a support ticket open for that now and I am getting close to getting it working as I would like). The reason for this is because suppression in my case SHOULD be triggered when a Point to Point line goes down from a remote site to one of our core sites, in MOST cases we have to contact carriers and building contacts to get these issues resolved.

2: Mobile pages would be great, but not all of my team have text message plans and I would like them to be able to use email as an alternative. If mobile pages exist I apologize for overlooking them, I have just discovered that alerts can be acknowledged and haven't gotten much deeper into the feature.

pserwe

I have had issues in the past with alert suppression, because one suppression can cause all alerts to be suppressed.  I have since disabled all alert suppression, and instead use acknowledgment, allowing and suspend action if the alert is acknowledged.

For the actions you're referring to, I have those in the actual alert action, so that when an alert is generated, there is a method for handling it written out in the actual alert, not the acknowledgment.

I considered the acknowledgement as an option, but there was no quick way to use this if all of my staff is out of the office and away from a computer. In addition with the number of devices being monitored we would still get spammed with emails by the time someone gets to acknowldge. I have activated acknowledgement as a backup to suppression though, just need a quicker easier way to acknowledge now.

denny.lecompte

2: Mobile pages would be great, but not all of my team have text message plans and I would like them to be able to use email as an alternative. If mobile pages exist I apologize for overlooking them, I have just discovered that alerts can be acknowledged and haven't gotten much deeper into the feature.

We don't have them today, but I'm looking at options.

For example we have different carriers for different remote sites and instead of having to dig up this information I could have it sent out to my team for even quicker response.

I think I understand.  As a short term solution, could you use Exchange rules to sort who gets which emails?  Send all emails to a mailbox that then forwards on to a distribution list based on the content of the email?