4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2009 8:50 AM by DirtySouth

Customize or Change NPM Event Colors

DirtySouth

For some reason the event colors were changed to horrific pastel colors after NPM  9.5 was relased. For the life of me and I can't imagine why anyone would think pastel colors were a good idea.

Could we possibly get a customize option? I've also noticed that some of the APM Down & Up events are the same color. That doesn't make any sense. Thoughts?

• Re: Customize or Change NPM Event Colors
          smarvis

So here is the story of event colors... They were once brighter (see left below) and then they were supposed to get refreshed a bit with new icons. For a while the colors did not show up (bug), but now that bug is fixed. The idea behind the new colors was to save users retinas a bit and move into this century with colors beyond the 8-bit palette. I'm sorry you find the new colors horrifying. Do you just think the specific colors are ugly or do you prefer events that are not color coded? If you wanted to hack away, you could edit events.css and change the colors, but this file would get replaced each time you updated Orion or ran config wizard.

The APM up/down thing is a bug and I will make sure it is entered in our system.

qle

I don't mean to speak for DirtySouth here but would it not be possible to provide the option for us to specify the color for each event type through the web console? At the very least, allow the choice of CSS file to apply much like the Color Scheme option in the web console.

denny.lecompte

I don't mean to speak for DirtySouth here but would it not be possible to provide the option for us to specify the color for each event type through the web console? At the very least, allow the choice of CSS file to apply much like the Color Scheme option in the web console.

Sure, it's possible.  As the developers tell me all the time, anything is possible.  But what's it worth to you?  We have only so much time, and if we build a UI for letting folks assign colors, that's less time for, say, creating maps automatically.  It's all the same pool of resources.  So you tell me how important this is, and I'll prioritize the work accordingly.  If this is critical (and I absolutely get that seemingly small things can be really important), then we'll look into it.

FWIW, we are thinking about ways we can let the community get more of a direct say in this kind of stack-ranking of features.  But until then, hearing its qualitative importance is good.

DirtySouth

Obviously there are probably more important things to improve/change/fix in upcoming releases. I was just very surprised and dissapointned when I saw that the events were changed to pastel colors.

More importantly, it seemed that before NPM 9.5 there was a greater variation in colors. In other words, each individual event type had an individual color. This made it easier to differentiate. Now, there are many different types of events that share the same color.

On a similar note, I noticed that the Events page uses a totally different set of colors.