3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2009 9:46 AM by denny.lecompte

Orion NPM Installation!

Hi all!

I'm new on Orion NPM, and before going through the installation, I'd likee you friend to answer some of important questions to me.

-Firstly I want to know if it's possible or a good idea, to isntall my operating sytème on a VMware ESX Server and install Orion NPM on it.

-Does a machine need to have two or several network card to be installed Orion NPM, before doing monitoring?

-At which place should I put the machine hosting Orion NPM in my network?

-what is the importance of the IP Address for the Orion NPM web console and what should I put there?

Thanks for advance.

Best regards

Eugene!

• Re: Orion NPM Installation!
          denny.lecompte
          -Firstly I want to know if it's possible or a good idea, to isntall my operating sytème on a VMware ESX Server and install Orion NPM on it.

Yes, the server is fine.  Don't install the SQL database on VMware, however.  It runs too slowly.

-Does a machine need to have two or several network card to be installed Orion NPM, before doing monitoring?

One should be fine

-At which place should I put the machine hosting Orion NPM in my network?

-what is the importance of the IP Address for the Orion NPM web console and what should I put there?

Put it on your network in a place where Orion can ping and make SNMP requests for all the target devices.

ddemetra

I run my SQL express and Orion on the same VM machine.

Performance is fast, but I have a small install of only 100 nodes.

I have my VM's split over 3 Data stores, 2 of them RAID 5, and 1 RAID 10

The Orion server  is one of my most disk intensive VM's, so I run it on the premium  RAID 10 Datastore.

So the right answer might be it depends on how small your install is, and how fast your VM infrastructure is.

Thanks, Dimitri

denny.lecompte

I run my SQL express and Orion on the same VM machine.

This configuration may work on a very small deployment if you configure your disk correctly, and is sounds like ddemtra knows how how to properly optimize disk usage and database config on a VM.  For anyone who's reading this, I would not recommend using SQL Express on a VM.  The vast majority of the time that we see people try this, they end up with really poor performance, so beware if you go that route.