This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Syslog truncating information

My FTP Log Shows:

Timestamp: 08/03/2009 06:14:39

Service: FTP

Listener (IP:Port): My Server IP

Host: My FTP FQDN

Session ID: Generated from FTP App

Client (IP:Port): IP client is coming from

User: FTP User ID

Command: timeout

Parameters: FTP Folder information

Type: Information

Error: 0

Severity: Informational

Description: Timeout session: 603.34375 secs inactivity, Login state

All this information is loaded into ORION Syslog and we are seeing that the information is being truncated when added to the Message Type Column.

The following information above is being entered into the message type Column:

Host=MY FQDN, SessionID=FTP Application generated, Listener=My FTP IP, Client=Client IP, User=UserName

What we are seeing is that the FTP username is being truncated, since it is the last entry.

My SQL guys wants to verify that we can change the value for the column "Message Type" on the Table "Syslog" within the "NetPerfMon" Database from  varchar100 to varchar150. That way we capture all the information from our FTP server.

Is there a place in ORION that we make the change, or do we do it directly to the DB. Also, if there is a DB upgrade, will it be reset back to varchar100?

• I had to expidiate this issue. Here was tech support answer:

"You can change the column varchar(xxx) number, but it will be unsupported. Also during a DB upgrade it may change the value back or fail, since it is not at varchar(100). The best solution is to submit a feature request"

Here is what I did:

I set it to varchar(250) and created a document in my ORION UPGRADE folder on the server with a FYI to set it back to varchar(100) before any update and to change back to varchar(250) after updates. Not a big deal because we are sweeping this table to a historical reporting DB (compliance related).

I also opened a feature request to add a field in the syslog setting to allow this column to be defined by the customer.