6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2009 2:36 AM by denny.lecompte

Migrate Basic Alerts into Advanced Alerts???????????????????????????

crazyitguy

Does anyone know how to migrate basic alerts into advanced alerts? I upgraded to v9.5 and now the basic alerts send out an alert very frequently if the node is down with no way to change alert escalation.

If I am suppose to move to Advanced alerts where is the support. Why hasn't Solarwinds created a migration tool to move from Basic to Advanced? I don't want to hear that it is impossible. If you can create an option and you want to phase it out then provide a solution to transition for your customers that doesn't involve creating everything from scratch. Solarwinds has provided some wonderful tools but these tools are not free. Please support them in a timely manner.

I submitted a support ticket only to be told this by a support person:

"It's not an ideal fix, but one way to get around this problem is to set up
      an alert suppression so that the problem node on the other side of that
      firewall is not included in the alert. Basically you just go to
      suppression and make a variable that states if the node is equal to your
      problem child, to not trigger the alert.

"My apologies on not getting back to you yesterday, but I was out of the
      office with a medical issue. From what one of my coworkers stated, this
      is actually an improvement that was made in 9.5. Obviously in your case
      it hasn't exactly enriched your experience, but that's how the software is
      operating at the moment"

"Unfortunately that's the only fix at present for the problem as it has been  presented.  Basic alerts are actually being phased out, so there's not a whole  lot of support for them anymore.  What's happening is you're getting an alert  trigger every time the device is polled by the alert engine and in a basic  alert, as you state, there's no way to prevent them from repeating.  Every time  the alert runs a check, it's going to come back a hit on the problem device and  there's no way to tell it to only warn you once."