6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2010 7:38 PM by bshopp

Orion NPM 9.5 SP3 Failed install

I have a 2008 server and a SQL 2005 database server. I am trying to install Orion NPM 9.5 SP3 and I keep getting Website configuration failed: Web Request for /Orion/Login.aspx failed - the remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.

I have read through the forms and uninstalled and reinstalled .NET 3.5 without any luck... i also gave IIS_USER permissions to the solarwinds directory in inetpub with no luck... can anyone help me get this going? Thanks!

• Re: Orion NPM 9.5 SP3 Failed install
          bshopp

Have you opened a support ticket to investigate?  That would be the best route

savell

We have a Windows 2003 Server with SQL 2005 that has the same issue.

It's in our Test/Stress area so we had time to completely rebuild the server from new and install a clean copy of 9.5 (which worked).

We then installed SP3 - which again broke the display of aspx pages with error 500.

We did a web site repair into a new folder which retored web site function, but of course removed the service pack from the web site.

It looks to us like a permissions type issue, but our case is still open with support - did you get your problem closed out?

Dave.

I found the following event error description with the above problem, opened up security to the directory structure mentioned and that allowed thw wizard to run OK :-

Exception information:
                  Exception type: HttpException
                  Exception message: The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write access to 'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files'.

May be worth a try.

Euan

I logged a call with Solarwinds support, and they asled for various files including event logs.  That got me checking the same and I found the following error within the application event log within one warning message -

Exception information:
                    Exception type: HttpException
                    Exception message: The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write access to 'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files'.

I opened up access to this directory structure for write access and the setup wizard then worked.

may be worth a try ?  I am no W2k3 expert so if this is a massive security hole then it's at your risk.

Cheers

Euan