2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2009 8:53 PM by SUBnet192

Design information

I am working on integrating NPM as part of a larger monitoring solution including Microsoft Operations Manager 2007 R2 and I am having a real hard time getting any useful information in order to plan and size the infrastructure.

Is clustering supported for the database? I would share the SQL server used for SCOM 2007, which is clustered.

What is the average SNMP packet size transmitted at each poll? I assume this information is being stored in the database as well so in order to size the storage required for the DB as well as bandwidth requirements, I would need this information.

What is the support lifecycle for the application? i.e. if we install 9.5 today, until when would we get patches and updates (assuming the client doesn't upgrade every year). Also, when a service pack comes out, do we still get support if we didnt install it?

For example, Microsoft offers support for Windows 2008 until 2013, then there is extended support. They also support the version prior to the latest service pack for 12 months after the release of the Service Pack.

Thanks,

Marc

• Re: Design information
          denny.lecompte

Is clustering supported for the database? I would share the SQL server used for SCOM 2007, which is clustered.

Yes

What is the support lifecycle for the application? i.e. if we install 9.5 today, until when would we get patches and updates (assuming the client doesn't upgrade every year). Also, when a service pack comes out, do we still get support if we didnt install it?

We release NPM about twice a year, and we release service packs between those releases, maybe one every month or so.

Maintenance entitles you to all SPs and all upgrades.  We will provide email and phone support on unpatched versions, but if a bug is fixed in a SP, that is likely the only option for fixing that bug.

What is the average SNMP packet size transmitted at each poll? I assume this information is being stored in the database as well so in order to size the storage required for the DB as well as bandwidth requirements, I would need this information.

4k bytes for a node; 2.5  k bytes for an interface.