This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

CBQoS options in new NTA version

I did a trial of NTA a few months ago before CBQoS functionality was added and the trial did not go well.  The software could not handle a single internet connection I sent netflow to it from....let alone the hundreds of circuits I would want to add.  That said we are in desperate need of QoS monitoring and was wondering if the new version of NTA could only be used for its ability to snmp collect the CBQoS data or does the interface need to be added as a netflow collector in order to gather CBQoS data.  If the later is the case I am pretty sure the software will crap out when I try to send all my circuits netflow data to the box. 

For those of you out there with NTA...how many netflow sources do you send to your installation and when do you start seeing problems?  How much total data are your circuits pushing (ie 100Mbs links or T-1's)?  I just had bad experience where it couldn't keep up with just one of our 100Mb internet connections so I am interested if it was only me that had problems with this module.

• Hi Brian,

We have quite a few customers running with multiple 100 Mb links in NTA. There may have been an environmental issue causing the problem. We can help you move past that roadblock. The CBQoS monitoring will automatically start showing data for all CBQoS interfaces. How many CBQos interfaces do you have?

BR - Andy

• So is CBQoS tied into NPM where if an interface on a device in NPM is running CBQoS it will start collecting if you have the NTA module installed?

Today we probably have about 50 or so interfaces that are running CBQoS.  That number may go up once we migrate off of internet/vpn solutions back to a MPLS WAN.  Back and forth we go at Discovery...can never make up our minds when it comes to the WAN. 

Does the CBQoS work on multiple vendors or was it written purely from a Cisco perspective.  I ask because we do deploy Juniper routers and configure QoS on those WAN links as well but the majority of our routers are Cisco.

• CBQoS is SNMP polled via a new poller and is implemented and displayed by NTA. It is Cisco specific.

• Thanks for the info.  I may have to do another trial to see what may or may not work for us.

• Let me know if you run into issue - I'll help you out.

Andy

• We actually monitor about 150 netflow sources.  Most are T1s or T1 multilinks but also in there are 2 full OC3s, 3 100MB links and 1 1gb link. 

Our setup handles that well but I can say that netflow is the most intensive part of Orion.  We actually had to get CBQOS turned off in the DB because it was running itself crazy but that seems more because it started automatically polling everything it could pull CBQOS from even switches.  It was up to 9000 interfaces before I stopped it.

• That is some good info Donald.  We run a couple Gig links (one hums along at 600mbps 24x7), probably 6 or more 100Mb links, and the rest are usually in ds-3 range.  A few T1s are left for backup internet links, etc. 

I guess I will need to do another trial and see if it was my server hardware/db that was problem or if the new version handles things a little better.

Does NTA require to be on same server as NPM or can it be on a dedicated box and still integrate with NPM?