This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

RPC to server in diffrent domain

I have a strange problem with the RPC calls to some servers in diffrent domains.

I know about the impersonate problem and the fix to use local accounts on the ipmonitor-host and the target and I have it working on a few servers but then there is a few that I can't get this to work. I't looks like the account is fine but there is something in our fw/net that isn't working as it should but I can't find out what...

WMI works from ipmonitor but RPC gives me "Unable to connect to the remote device"...

If I logon to the ipmonitor-host I can then view 'Services' & 'Event viewer' on the servers with the problem but not RPC from within ipmonitor...

Does anyone have any ideas about this? Some strange ports used by ipmonitors RPC?

• Hello ErikD,

Out of curiosity, if WMI works from ipMonitor, why not use it instead of RPC?

If you wish to use RPC, try the following test from the ipMonitor system and see if it works:

1. Open a CMD prompt.
    2. Type "Runas /user:[local_account] cmd.exe" and hit Enter.

***where [local_account] is the local account on the ipMonitor host assigned to the Credential being used by the failing Monitor(s)***

1. Within the new CMD window running as the account, type "dir \\[server_addr]\c$\" and hit Enter.

Does this command provide you with the contents of the C drive on the remote system?

• It's with the recovery (restart service) the problem occurs as it uses RPC (?)...

For the acctual test we use SNMP.  I have tried WMI on the test and it works but RPC just gives me error...

I can see the login in Security-log and it looks fine so my guess it's something strange in the network but I can't see what it could be...

I have this setup working on a few machines but they are behind a newer firewall and the ones that done work are behind an older fw so the rules are a bit messy emoticons_happy.png thats why I asked if ipmonitor does something other then "normal" RPC...

Yes, I can list the contents of the C drive so it's even more confusing :S