This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Cisco device "behind' Digi terminal server.

We are using cattools to back up Cisco and Nortel devices with no issue.

We have some cisco routers situated in firewalls that we would like to

back up. These routers are accesed through Digi terminal servers. The normal Cisco script seems to fail because we may need to send an extra CR to wake up port.

• Hi,

Are you using the Cisco.Terminal.Server device type for the Digi device and then telling CatTools to connect via this as per the link below?

http://www.kiwisyslog.com/help/cattools/dev_specificinfociscotermserv.htm

Regards,

Wardini

• I believe i am having the same problem.

I've tried connecting per the directions in the previous link, but i end up with the same error.

here is the debug log.

<NEWSESSION Kiwi CatTools 3.4.0 9/28/2009 10:21:31 AM>
    <PROTOCOL=SSH2>
    <DEVICE TYPE=Cisco.Terminal.Server>
    <ACTIVITY TYPE=Report.Compare.Running Startup>
    <ACTIVITY SCRIPT=C:\Program Files\CatTools3\Scripts\Client.Report.Compare.Running Startup.txt>
    <USERS NAME FOR DEVICE=Digi>
    <C OK 10:21:33 AM><R-10:21:34 AM> Entering server port, ..... type ^z for port menu.[13][13][10]
    ================================================================================
    WFMDRetVal=1 Waiting for: ">"
    WFMDRetVal=2 Waiting for: "#"
    WFMDRetVal=3 Waiting for: "Username:"
    WFMDRetVal=4 Waiting for: "Password:"
    WFMDBuffer=" entering server port, ..... type ^z for port menu.[13][13][10]"
    ================================================================================

WFMDBuffer=" entering server port, ..... type ^z for port menu.[13][13][10]"

The entering server port message is from the digi console server.

If you were to type any commend or even just a CR it will show you the standard prompt.  Is there any way to force Catools to do another CR

• Hi,

I noticed from your CatTools device capture log that the Digi has been setup in CatTools to connect using a connection 'Method' of SSH2.  

Just as a quick test, is it possible you can set the connection 'Method' field in CatTools for the Digi device to Telnet?   I just wanted to see whether this is handling the sending of the initial CR and so connects through OK.  If so, then I may be able to tweak the Cisco.Terminal.Server device script for you.

Regards,

Steve

• I figured out part of my problem the Entering server port message can be disabled, but for admin use we need is to be enables.  It'a allows us to switch to another port on the digi.

When i opened the digi and ports to telnet access and tried the config compare it ran with out a problem.

I saw the "entering server port" message in the log and it still continued on after authentication,  we can't of course  continue running via telnet due to compliance issues.

but it looks like the quick test worked

if the script can be edited that would be great.  Thanks

chris

• Hi Chris,

I've attached a tweaked script should pick up the 'Entering server port, ...' message from your Digi box and send an additional CR to hopefully continue on.

Take a backup of your existing Cisco.Terminal.Server.txt file in the \Scripts folder and then unzip and copy the attachment file in its place.

Please let me know how you get on.

Steve

30Sept2009_Cisco.Terminal.Server(v3.4.0).zip
  • It works perfectly.  Thank you for the help.

• You are very welcome Chris.

Steve

• Hi Spartacus-

I am backing up Cisco switches through a similar device and getting the same error:

<NEWSESSION CatTools 3.6.0 2/24/2011 12:51:35 PM>
    <PROTOCOL=SSH2>
    <DEVICE TYPE=Cisco.Terminal.Server>
    <ACTIVITY TYPE=Device.Backup.Running Config>
    <ACTIVITY SCRIPT=C:\Program Files\CatTools3\Scripts\Client.Device.Backup.Running Config.txt>
    <USERS NAME FOR DEVICE=Cyclades ACS Port 2>
    <C OK 12:51:49 PM><R-12:51:49 PM>[13][10]
    WFMDRetVal=5 Waiting for: "Entering server port, ..... type ^z for port menu"
    WFMDBuffer="[13][10]"

WFMDRetVal=5 Waiting for: "Entering server port, ..... type ^z for port menu"
    WFMDBuffer="[13][10]"

I tried your script but I am getting the same error.  I am on version 3.6- would that make a difference?

Thanks

Kate

• Hi Kate,

It looks like your Cyclades device is returning just a carriage-return line feed after connection; which I'm guessing then requires you to press the <enter> key before you receive back the Cyclades hostname prompt.  Would this be correct?

If so, then neither the v3.6.0 script or the modified one I attached above will be able to handle this in their current form.

The v3.6.0 script will probably need further modification.  Do you have support maintenace?

Kind regards,

Steve

• Yes, that is correct.  When I SSH to the Cyclades device, I have to hit return after connection to get a prompt for the device.  I do have support maintenance- can they assist me with this issue?

Thanks

Kate