2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2009 2:03 PM by wgorrod

Need help with setup

Hey all. ive been seaching through the forums and google all day and havent been able to find what i need. I am about to do a couple of new installs that involve having three separate servers; polling, sql, and web. I have all the requirements and such, but cant find anything on the ip address management for the servers, Here is what i am looking for

can i have a backside private ip network that traffic flows between the three servers so that on the front all this is coming in and out is snmp traffic and user traffic going to the web? 

can i put the web server in a different vlan off the frontside so that it separates the traffic between the users and the snmp polling?

was wondering if someone who is doing the separate servers can help out and let me know how you do it. Thanks

• Re: Need help with setup
          njoylif

I haven't done this but it should be simple enough.

All of the SolarWinds inter-communication should be done on the "private" vlan or subnet.  accomplish this by using that IP range when running the configuration wizard, that way the poller and web server hit the DB on the private side.  There would be no default gateway on those interfaces.

The "public" facing interfaces and vlans would have the default gateway, thus all of the management traffic and monitoring traffic would be done across the public side.

Again, I haven't tried this, but I would think it should work that way. 

only gotcha I can think of is when the web client is hitting the site, whether the browser makes calls directly to the DB or if it all goes through the web server....but I would expect it all to go through the web server....

Please post the results...

• Re: Need help with setup

only gotcha I can think of is when the web client is hitting the site, whether the browser makes calls directly to the DB or if it all goes through the web server....but I would expect it all to go through the web server....

This was one of our questions on it. was whether it went through the web server or if it would have to make any calls to the DB.

Thanks for the reply. Ill see if anyone else has some good hints before i start. Once i get it all done ill be sure to post to share.