This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

CatTools: not able to add activities

Hi, I reinstalled my CatTools Professional V.3.2.11 on another machine, and now I'm not able to add any activities anymore (adding, importing devices went smoothly).  As I found a more or less related error here on thwack related to the installation of a Windows Script Host 5.7 version, I already tried that.  CatTools was running on a XP machine (now defunct), and is now running on Windows Server 2003.

The error message I'm getting is:

Kiwi CatTools Standard Version 3.2.11 | Error Number: 3265 | Description: Item cannot be found in the collection corresponding to the requested name or ordinal. | Module Name: DBCatMain.bas | Procedure Name: CatDBActivitySave | Line Number: 510 | Date and time: 14/07/2009 13:09:37

Afterwards the interactive session crashes.  Any help anybody ?

kind regards

karel Van der Haegen

• Hi karel,

I noticed that you are running quite an old version of CatTools.  It could be that this was a bug in the version you are running and so upgrading to the latest version may fix the problem.

However, if you wish to remain on version 3.2.11 and still have the original CatTools installation available, I'd recommend trying the instructions in the following KB article to move CatTools to a new system:

http://www.kiwisyslog.com/kb/how-to:-move-cattools-to-another-computer/

If you don't have the original CatTools installation available anymore, but you have a backup of the database file (KiwiDB-CatTools.kdb), then you can try simply copying the database to the new installation and then run CatTools.  Just make sure that the new installation has the application and service stopped first so that no locks are held on the database.

Please let me know how you get on.

Regards,

Steve

• Hello Steve,

thanks for your reply.  I did mail my SolarWinds sales representative twice (two weeks and one week ago) asking for a quote to upgrade these versions one way or another, but besides mails to test the Engineer's Toolset and Orion NPM I did not receive any answer yet, and now he appears to be on a holiday leave.  I'm not willing to pay the full price to obtain the latest version. I'm even reluctant to buy additional tools from a company where customer loyalty appears not to count.

I did not follow the copy procedure you point to, I used the original installation files (after making sure I had VB6 and WSH5.7).  Then I registered using the key from the original mail and imported device settings through a csv file.  So actually, this is like I would perform a first time new registration ...  That worked some years ago, it does not work anymore that way now apparently. 

I'll try to use the copy of the database file and let you know how that works out (have to attach the harddrive of that defunct xp box to another machine first to get to that file).

Regards

karel

• Hi karel,

With regards to the installation issue on the new machine, please let me know whether copying the database across solve the problem.

If this doesn't resolve the problem, then just so I'm clear as to which operations work and which ones fail on your new system; could you clarify the following for me please:

1) Did you import your original devices using the Import from tab delimited file (refer link to CatTools v3.2.x help file: http://www.kiwisyslog.com/help/cattoolsv32/mnu_filedbimportdevicefrmtab.htm )

2) Is the error with adding activities occurring when trying to import your original activities using the similar import method: http://www.kiwisyslog.com/help/cattoolsv32/mnu_filedbimportactivityfrmtab.htm , or is it when you try add a single activity via the user interface? (i.e. the Activities pane 'Add' button)?

With regards to the quotation issue, I'll forward your comments on to the CatTools Project Manager to see if he can liaise with the Sales team to see what problem is.

Regards,

Steve

• Thanks once more for your reply !  Highly appreciated.  The answers to your questions are Yes, I imported devices from a tab delimited file, and I'm trying to add a single newly created activity via the user interface (add button).

regards

karel

• Hi Karel,

I'm sorry your renewal experience has been subpar.  We absolutely value loyalty and giving free and frequent product updates to those current on maintenance is part of our commitment to our loyal customers.  

Can you let me know which SolarWinds Sales Representative you were trying to get in contact with?   I'd like to follow-up and understand what happened.

Thanks,

-Chris

• Hi Chris,

I must admit that the follow up on this board is very good indeed.  I did mail you with all the more personal information and the name requested.  I do not think that belongs on a forum. 

For all readers, I must state that I have a CatTools license V3 with an expired maintenance plan, and a SyslogD V7 license even without maintenance plan. (Never suggested otherwise by the way)

So, I do not question that free and frequent product updates are given to those current on maintenance.  I did enjoy those upgrades too for some time.  When the added functionality was not needed, I couldn't justify the maintenance cost.  Now, I do want to upgrade if this will fix my problems with the older version, but I believe I should not pay the full license price.

Kind regards

karel

• Hi karel,

I checked the line of code which appears to be causing the problem, and it appears to be most likely database related (i.e. trying to read data which has been queried from the database).

In release v3.2.13, some changes were made which broke backwards compatibility as it updated the CatTools database schema.  If you have by chance upgraded to v3.2.13 or later, then your database may be possibly incompatible with the v3.2.11 interface.  If you have an old backed up version of the KiwiDB_CatTools.kdb file still on your original system, then restoring this to your new system (as I mentioned above) should resolve this issue.

If the database hasn't been modified by an upgrade to v3.2.13 or later, then you may want to try performing a database squeeze to see if this resolves the issue. (See v3.2.x Help file link: http://www.kiwisyslog.com/help/cattoolsv32/mnu_filedbsqueezecurrent.htm )

Regards,

Steve

• Hello Steve,

I did not upgrade to 3.2.13 or later, I reinstalled on the new host from scratch but ...   I restored the database from the old xp machine today (just got access to the disk again), reimported my switches and indeed, I can add activities again and everything seems to work fine (both old activities and newly created activities).  So continuing on the previous database did solve the problem for me.  Thanks very, very much for all the help.

• You are very welcome karel.

Steve

• Mmm, I renewed Software Maintenance, installed v.4.3.0 and it crashes on the upgrade :-)  The issue is now handled by customer support Case #107614.  Failing Procedure Name: InitialiseAddActivityDetails ...