I think here is the minimum requirements for using SQL
The following database servers are supported as the Orion Network Performance Monitor datastore:
- SQL Server 2005 SP1 Express, Standard, or Enterprise
- SQL Server 2008 Express, Standard, or Enterprise
Your server must support either mixed-mode or SQL authentication.
Use the following database select statement to check your SQL Server version, service pack or release level, and edition:
select SERVERPROPERTY ('productversion'), SERVERPROPERTY ('productlevel'), SERVERPROPERTY ('edition')
The following x86 components must also be installed (if the components are not found on the target computer, the setup program downloads and installs the components):
- SQL Server System Common Language Runtime (CLR) Types
- Microsoft SQL Server Native Client
- Microsoft SQL Server Management Objects
- For improved performance, Orion NPM uses secure SQL CLR stored procedures for selected, non-business data operations.
- If you are using SQL Server 2005 SP1 Express Edition on a Windows XP operating system, enable the following protocols: Shared memory, TCP/IP, and Named Pipes.
Also, Please see Denny's post Support for SQL Server 2000 ending in with the next release (2009)