2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2009 5:09 AM by mduckett

SNMP causing Memory leak??

Hi,

This may all just be a big coincedence and I am still investigating but...

Since our parent company upgraded to NPM 9.5 our older Cisco Catalyst switches appear to have developed a memory leak, after a bit of investigation I found the IP SNMP process is not releasing memory. 

This only started happening last week on the day NPM was upgraded and no other changes have been made on our network.  I have found that upgrading to te latest IOS resolves it, but my question really was is there any reason anyone can think of that this would happen? Could NPM be causing it? 

• Re: SNMP causing Memory leak??
          Yann

Hi,

...but my question really was is there any reason anyone can think of that this would happen? Could NPM be causing it? 

We have changed some OIDs we poll for Cisco since Orion 9.1. We now manage the polling for Cisco devices better and as far as I know we still poll Old and New OID's.

Example of this is Polling Cisco CPU: Pre Orion 9, we used... OID name: cpmCPUTOTAL5min/cpmCPUTotal1min OID number: 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.109.1.1.1.1.5/4

Since 9.1 (9.5 included therefore) they started using the following OIDs

And the reason is because of this from Cisco:https://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094a94.shtml

The IOS version you are running has a bug that prevents the IP SNMP process to release memory when these OIDs were polled. Upgrading NPM just revealed you it was time upgrading the IOS :).

Thanks to kevin2me who forwarded me this info,

Yann