1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 8, 2009 12:50 PM by Yann

What can cause high avg disk que length?

freemen

I am at a loss to explain the high values I am getting for the avg disk que length on my SW database server. The current value is approximately 65. If I understand correctly, the value should not exceed 2X the number of physical disks I have on the server.

Perhaps I should describe my current setup and network size to put this in perspective.

I have a primary poller, hot standby, additional web server and database server all on separate boxes. The hardware is configured thusly:

Primary/Hot Standby: Dual Dual Core 3GHz CPU/8 GB RAM/Two 73GB drives in RAID1/Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise

Additional Web server: Single Dual Core 3 GHz CPU/4 GB RAM/Two 73GB drives in RAID1/Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise

Database Server: Dual Quad Core 3GHz CPU/64 GB RAM/Four 120 GB 15K diskss in RAID1+0 array/Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Ed/MS SQL 2005 Standard Ed.

The monitored network is currently 246 nodes, 3916 interfaces, and 17 volumes.

I would think there is no way that I should be seeing an avg disk que length of 65 right now! Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.