11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2012 11:39 AM by DanielleH

Training the trainers?

GarethHassall

Hi Team,

I've been asked to host a series of training sessions within my company to upskill people at other locations. It may be a bit early, but are there any resources that I as a trainer can use for my presentations?

Thanks,

Gareth.

• Re: Training the trainers?

We don't have any TtT materials available as we're not providing any public training classes.  Our core competency lies in systems/network management and software development, so we typically rely on our partners to create training content and deliver classes. 

That said, I have a long history in enterprise training and will be happy to better understand your need to see if there is anything we can do to assist.

Do you have clear success objectives outlined for the request?  Are they looking for you to train participants on basic networking skills , Orion deployment or all the way to the SCP skill set?

Feel free to flush out your idea here on the forum, or you can reach out to me directly and we'll see what we can come up with.

GarethHassall

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for this. The situation is a little complex, so I'll try to simplify. I work for a global energy company, and my division has 8 major sites worldwide.
              Because of the sensitivity of the process control networks, each one is completely segmented from the normal business users & has minimal data export via a firewall, with no internet connectivity whatsoever.

Of these 8 sites, my site & 3 others are running Orion NPM, but the others are nowhere near using the full capabilities of the suite. Sometime next year, Orion NPM + APM will become a company standard & the other 4 sites will be required to install it.

The other sites all have medium-to-competent network people, and my mandate is just to upskill the current sites' Orion skills so they are using the package to its full advantage. Once this is done, then next year I will possibly be required to do a full set of Orion training for the new sites, from install right through to completion, and try to develop some form of standards for the Orion configuration on the 8 sites. The requirement is not to get them prepped for the SCP exam, but to get site admins to a good level of competency in using the product.

I also have a fair amount of field experience in training, but hey, why re-invent the wheel if I don't have to?  ;>)

Thanks,

Gareth.

Jay Cummings

It sounds like you are looking for course material:

• student manuals
                  • presentation slides
                  • lab exercises
                  • training scripts
                  • etc.

Are these the types of things you're looking for?

GarethHassall

Although a full set of material like this would be ideal, it would probably be overkill at this point. Remember, the people I'm talking to are network admins who already have NPM installed, however limited that install may be.

A good start will be a course outline, which I'm sure I can get from the certification site.
                      Ideally I'd like some slides, but I can work those up myself.
                      I also have Adobe captivate, so I'll try & generate a few videos for offline use.

I'm really just trying to avoid having to develop the whole thing from scratch myself, but if I have to, I have to.
                      One major difficulty is that I'm going to be training remotely, using my live system to demo.
                      I don't have a lab big enought to build a demo system that will enable me to show all the functionality, and even if I did, building that would take longer than prepping the course anyway!

OK, I guess I'll build from the bottom up.
                      Thanks,
                      Gareth.

Stacy Patten

I have a similar issue have just this morning started a eight week, two hour a week, training session over Video Conference with coworkers in Europe and Asia.  I'm using the following "course";

1 - Overall Architecture
                          2 - How to use it (general navigation & admin)
                          3 - How to use it (Syslog, SNMP & Alerts)
                          4 - How to cusomize it
                          5 - How to fix it
                          6 - Detailed review of APM & the database
                          7 - Detailed review of Custom Properties, Wireless & Custom Pollers
                          8 - Review

I have put together a set of how-to's which are specific to our environment and while it has been trying the result will be less workload on me and more time to tweak.  In the end I expect to have a package of information to hand to a new employee and with a little hand holding they can function at a moderate level.

Stacy

GarethHassall

Thanks for all the input.

When I do put this together (and it's likely to be fairly soon) would anyone be  interested in me sharing my material?

G.

If this is a trending need of other forum members, what do you think about a collaborative effort to create some of the content?  Maybe a list of demonstrations to be captured and each member who is interested can use captivate to record a few examples and upload them to the content exchange.  Could also create outlines and slides in modular format so a class could be built for a specific purpose with the correct pieces?

If this is something which has intrest, I can have a SolarWinds Certified Professional Learning Content folder created to organize the content being generated.

Stacy Patten

I would be willing to particpate in this. 

GarethHassall

This is an excellent idea & I would be willing to contribute.
                                        If we can throw together a framework & collaborate, then we can probably piece together some very good material, which can then be peer-reviewed & modified as needed. It will also avoid duplication of effort & bring real-world user experience to the slides / videos / MM presentations etc. I'm using Adobe Captivate, but other people may have other products. This may not matter as most apps have an export function to bring everything into a standard set of formats such as .swf.

We've created an Educational Materials folder in the thwack Content Exchange to be leveraged for things like this and can begin using the space to share content.

If this is to work, I recommend 1st generating an outline which meets the needs, then divide up the sections to those interested in participating.  As each individual completes content (.ppt, captivate, .flv, doc, etc ...) it can then be uploaded into the Educational Materials folder with a description of what the content is.

If the interest grows and the need arises for a better facilitation tool, we'll look into implementing a tool to provide file versioning, wikis, task assignments, etc ...

DanielleH

All - there is a new SCP exam prep guide available here.