This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Engineers Toolset V10.2 integration with Orion NPM

I have installed the software and have had a few issues with licensing,but now this is finally working.However it still doesn't load from within Orion NPM.Before I used to be able to rightclick any node and get up a list of tools,but now I get nothing.When I click on the interface dials,I get an error message saying "I need to activate  Active X in my browser",but this is already done.When I go to 'Manage Add Ons' in my browser (IE 8),I can't see the SWToolset.exe  (yet my colleague does).Is there any way to manually load this?

I am at a loss and have had a couple of Support guys from Solarwinds take a look and they can't see anything wrong,(apart from the active X doesn't seem to work).The toolset works on its own,it is just the integration that doesn't.

Cheers,

Nick

• any update on this as I have the exact same issue?  I also get an error telling me i need to enable active x also.

Dan

• No,I have had solarwinds support take a look on my PC,and they can't see any issue with configuration.Even though it says I need to activate active X,the settings are enabled,but it just doesn't load the swtoolset into the add on's.

I have tried this in IE7 ,8 and Google Chrome,and get the same result.Whereas my colleagues all work fine.Same PC build etc,etc.Very strange.

• Did you install the SWToolset component after you enabled ActiveX?  If you go to the Orion website, there should be a popup at the top of the page indicating that the website wants to install an ActiveX component.  If not, you may need to adjust your security settings to place the Orion website into a zone with higher trust.

Also, it should only work in Internet Explorer; Firefox and Google Chrome don't support ActiveX plugins.

• I'm in the same boat as you guys. I just upgraded to version 10.3 and it keeps telling me to 'allow active x controls in my browser'. It didnt work in the previous version so I was hoping maybe this would fix it. The add-on SWToolSet.Engine is there and I have tried to delete it and add it back but still get the same results about it telling me to allow active x controls. Hope someone can come up with a solution.

• This is almost always caused by some element of browser security, whether it is the trusted zone, allowing ActiveX controls, not having enough rights to install the ActiveX control, or some third party security software not allowing the ActiveX to execute.

Can you post some specifics about what OS/Browser, running as admin, steps you have already taken, etc?

Thanks,

Greg

• Running Vista Business IE7 as administrator. Have changed security settings to 'Allow' just about everything dealing with ActiveX even the ones that say 'not secure'. I have attached a screenshot of the activex add-on that shows up.

• Here is the error I get when I try to run something. I do have 'Allow Browser Integration' set to yes.

• Hi Crwchief - I started doing some testing on Win7/IE8.0.7 (never tried on it before), and I had a heck of a time getting the Toolset integration working, but eventually it succumbed to my rabid persistence... :)

Here is what I did:

• Open up all security settings for ActiveX Controls (like you stated above)
    • Make sure the Orion website is in the Trusted group
    • Open the browser, and manually download the SWToolset.exe
      • http://<orionserver>/Swtoolset.exe
      • Save this file somewhere (hopefully where all users will have rights)
    • Open a command prompt with Administrator Rights (accessories -> right mouse click -> Run as administrator
    • Very important: Close all your browsers to the Orion website!
    • Navigate to the folder where you saved the SWToolset.exe file
    • Run "SWToolset.exe /regserver".
    • Open the browser, nav to Orion, and see if it asks you again about installing the ActiveX (it shouldn't, you just did it manually).
    • If you do not get the message, give something a right click and see if you get the menu.

This will manually install the ActiveX Control. It seems I was not able to get the control install via auto download from the browser.

HTH,

Greg

• Greg,

Your a genius. That fixed it and it works like a charm now. Thank you so much for resolving this.

Kevin

• Thanks you Greg that worked for me too.

Weird how I had your support staff connect to my PC twice and they didn't manage to get it working.

Not sure what they were trying,but they certainly didn't do that.

Anyway all sorted.Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Nick