4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2009 8:51 AM by Ferry

"Engineer's Toolset" Security!!

Hi,

There is a company wants to use Engineers Toolset as a monitoring for their network!

My concern is that this tool is not for monitoring people, it is for maintenance, management and monitoring, I mean the person who work on it can also change configuratios, for example, if we put a cisco router credentials for monitoring CPU and others, with same credentials the users can upload new configuration to the router.

Please I nead your advice, and is my concern correct?

regards,

Alan

• Re: "Engineer's Toolset" Security!!
          Yann

Hi,

If you do not want to make available some of the tools to NOC team in this company, you can replace their executables with e.g. the ping.exe one.

If you delete the executables, Engineer's Toolset might pop up a message telling you that the installation is corrupted.

Concerning the Cisco Config Transfer tool, you need to have a Read/Write community string to be able to trigger the TFTP download of the configuration. A read-only community string does not have sufficient rights.

HTH,

Yann

Hello Yann,

Thanks for your reply, but still, do you think this tool could be used as a network monitoring tool for a group of staff? 

And if they can't get all functions in ET why they pay for all the functions just for monitoring!

I mean, look at Solarwinds product Orion, it is for monitoring purposes, ET is for sys admin or net admin, it is for one person not a group, wht do you think?

Regards,

Alan

Yann

If this team/staff is granted/mandated to troubleshoot problems discovered with the main monitoring system, then ET will make them more efficient.

If their job is to pass on the issue discovered to another team, they will probably not use it.

ET is used mostly for real-time monitoring and troubleshooting scenario.

Ferry

Hi,

I would not advise using the toolset as primary network application. But as the saying goes “How big is the network?” if you have say 5 to 10 small switches and a small budget it will do. You could use telnet or a browser for the configs and the toolset to monitor. But if you are in a network with hundreds of nodes you should go for a proper management tool (Cisco= Cisco2000 and HP= Procurve Manager or Solarwinds Orion NPM ). They put you back $$$$ but you get what you pay for.

I obtained the toolset last month and it has some very good and useful apps. I use it on an everyday basis. Although it is a single user program you can access it anywhere in your LAN with VNC.

Ferry