6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2009 12:39 PM by Yann

new to traps - need help please

patriot

I have not configured trap rules in Orion before so I need a little help please. I create a new rule,  go to the Conditions tab, click on Add a condition. That part is easy enough. What I don't understand is the differnece between the first blank and the third blank in the Condition (the middle blank is the qualifier). If I click on the asterisk in the third blank, I am taken to a screen where I am to select an OID. But the same is true for the first blank.

So, I am confused. Can anyone show me an example that will demonstrate how I use these two blanks differently?

I would really appreciate the assistance!

• Re: new to traps - need help please
          Yann

Hi,

Could you post a screenshot of the Trap displayed in Trap Viewer on which you want to apply a rule?

This would be easier to explain with an example.

Thanks,

Yann

patriot

Yes, I will post one, but I really just need to know why the first field and the third field both require an OID be selected. I guess I'm not sure what that will result in. Can any other data types be entered in either of these fields?

patriot

One more question please. It looks to me that the trap viewers in NCM and NPM are identical. If that is the case, is there any reason to use the one in NCM other than to enable the realtime change notification capability?

Could I not simply configure all my traps ruoles and alerts in one application or the other,, but not both?

Thanks.

Yann

I was asking for a Trap screenshot not a Rule/Alert screenshot, could you post one? thanks in advance.

One more question please. It looks to me that the trap viewers in NCM and NPM are identical. If that is the case, is there any reason to use the one in NCM other than to enable the realtime change notification capability?

NCM was and is still a stand alone product that was not integrated in Orion before the version 5, this is why by default it installs its own SNMP Trap and Syslog services.

When NCM and NPM are on the same box, I recommend you to only install the NPM Trap and Syslog Services.

Could I not simply configure all my traps ruoles and alerts in one application or the other,, but not both?

You are correct, you can setup the required rule in the NPM Trap Viewer or Syslog viewer to trigger the config auto download executable.

Since NCM is becoming a module of NPM, one would want to centralize all the alerts around NPM tools for an easier administration. It again depends if both products are on the same box.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
                      Yann