32 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2017 3:18 AM by sfp

node name change

i am running Orion NPM 9.5 SP2. I am just tasked with changing node names for 100s od devices. The current names are not very logical. Once the device name is changed, i see that the sys-name is updated via snmp but the "node name" does not change. I read somewhere that if I just delete the nade name, the system will update it from sys-name. It did not work.  Once tried, now the device shows up with a blank name ...just a green dot. Con someone help?

BTW: I have had nothing but trouble since moving to 9.5. I dont believe this version was ready for release....heard SP3 is coming out in July....

• Re: node name change
          denny.lecompte

That was a known bug, and we thought it was fixed in all cases.  Could you open a Support ticket to that we can look at it in more detail?

cstaniforth

Id just bite the bullet and manually update them!

I changed around 100 node names, and after running "rediscovery" for allnodes the name in NPM remains the same!

I cant delete all nodes and readd them!

Any idea if this can solved? Any workaround?

I am using Orion NPM 9.5 SP1.

Thank you

bshopp

Until we release the fix, only workaround is to manually update them

jcooler

If you are just wanting to update the node name with the "system name", you can write a SQL update script to do that quick and easy. I'll post the SQL code if anyone is interested.

Hi,

Is this planned for the next SP or a hot fix will be released soon

Chandru

DonC72

Hello.  Has any ground been made on this?  I'm at the point where I have to basically delete all "old" nodes with the old nomenclature and have to rediscover them, which wipes out all reporting and historical data.  I know I can easily rename the nodes via Atlas, but that will lead to confusion with reporting, won't it?

Thanks! 

bshopp

jcooler, can you post your SQL script as a workaround till we get this issue resolved so Don does not have to delete his nodes

DonC72

I'm not much of an SQL whiz.  Is this pretty straightforward?  On a scale from 1-5, 5 being most knowledgeable, I'd be a -1 regarding SQL "how to"

jcooler

Here is sql script that will change the Nodes.caption field to match the Nodes.sysName field.

The Nodes.caption is the node name that you see on the node list, maps, node details etc.

The Nodes.sysName is the system name extracted from snmp.  It is the "System Name" displayed under the node details sections.

This script can be executed in Report Writer application(easiest), the SQL Management Studio, and probably Orion's Database Manager(I haven't tried it here) . 

--Note: If you execute it in Report Writer, it will not show that the query completes, because it is looking for some data to be returned, but it does actually complete the script. Simply execute it, let it run for a minute or so, then hit cancel.

So, here's the script:

---------------------------------------

UPDATE Nodes
                                              SET caption =(select  sysname)

---------------------------------------

Thats it. Just 2 lines. This will set every node name to the system name.

If you are interested removing the domain names from the nodes, I have a script for that too. Just let me know.

DonC72

Yes, that would be very helpful, I just took at look thru our custom property editor, and a rather large amount of the names do pull the domain name, which would further complicate this. 

As a side, is it possible to test it on a select few first as opposed to popping that in there and doing everything in one fell swoop? 

jcooler

To test on a few nodes, add a where statement to the end of the script similar to what you see below.

As for the domain names, here is a good start. It will have to be customized a little to match your domain name(s). Simply add or delete the WHEN/THEN statements as needed. You will need a WHEN/THEN for each domain name you use.

UPDATE Nodes
                                                    SET caption = (
                                                  SELECT RTRIM( SUBSTRING(
                                                          sysName, 1,( (
                                                              Select CASE
                                                             WHEN (CharIndex ('.domain1.com', sysName) > 0)
                                                                THEN (CharIndex ('.domain1.com', sysName)-1)
                                                              WHEN (CharIndex ('.domain2.com', sysName) > 0)
                                                                THEN (CharIndex ('.domain2.com', sysName)-1)
                                                              WHEN (CharIndex ('.domain3.com', sysName) > 0)
                                                                THEN (CharIndex ('.domain3.com', sysName)-1)
                                                               ELSE (LEN(sysName))
                                                              END ) )
                                                              )
                                                           )

Where (IP_Address= 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx') AND (IP_Address= 'yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy')

--Replace domain#.com with your domain name.

--Replace xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy with your test node IPs.

To expand your test group, add more ips to the where statement in the format of" AND (IP_Address= 'yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy') "

You could also use any other field in the WHERE statement. Like city = 'Greenville' or location = 'closet 4' or what ever you like.

You dont have to worry as much about messing something up if you limit it with the WHERE statement.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions if they arise.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                  brian_crypto

I cam across this looking for similar function ... I think it is a little better in that it removes nodes without a SysName, useful if you have ICMP only nodes and don't want the update making their captions all NULL.

Query to display nodes where caption and SysName don't match:

SELECT Caption, SysName, IP_Address FROM Nodes
                                                  WHERE ((Caption <> SysName) AND (SysName <> ''))
                                                  ORDER BY Caption

Command to update the nodes:

UPDATE Nodes
                                                  SET Caption = SysName
                                                  WHERE Caption in (SELECT Caption FROM Nodes WHERE ((Nodes.Caption <> Nodes.SysName) AND (Nodes.SysName <> '')))

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                    sfp

As pointed by @sedmo (Re: How to get Orion to update the node name from the hostname ) there can be some exceptions to be handled, for example empty sysName (say misconfigured device or device monitored with ICMP where SolarWinds don't have sysName value).

DonC72

I had to do the same for our MPLS rollouts & renames - I had to remove the old and rediscover unfortunately.  I'll be following this one.  I have many more to do, hopefully there is a way. 

You might check this thread and see if it is useful.

Re: How to get Orion to update the node name from the hostname

DonC72

Thanks!  I did see that earlier, but was hoping it was fixed in the latest version.  I did open a ticket a while back and beleive it was closed as I am fairly certain that it was supposed to be in this version per the notes.  I'd rather not have to do the queries, but can as a last resort.

Thanks

rawwinton

How do u allow it to run without having to manually cancel the process?

the update statement had been executed but the report manager will show "querying database" without exiting