9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2009 11:08 AM by AllisonB

NETPERFMON database growing to large

tbaggins

I had only 58Mb remaining this morning on a 70Gb mirrored drive set which runs Orion.  Where do I control how long Orion keeps node statistics?  I'm running SolarWinds Orion Network Performance Monitor 9.1 SP5

• Re: NETPERFMON database growing to large
          Andy McBride

Admin -> Orion Polling Settings

kahmeelyon

I am having a similar issue but I don't think it's related to polling frequency as suggested.  The tables which are growing out of proportion are:

NPM_NODE_VALUES_SHADOW
            NPM_NODE_VALUES

These two tables seem to be a "scratch" area used to temporarilly store raw data before it gets distilled and put in other tables.  It seems that there may be an issue in the code which is not letting the tables get drained properly?

A few days ago I stopped Orion and did a "DELETE FROM NPM_NODE_VALUES_SHADOW" and the same on the other one.  I then reindexed the entire database and did a shrink.  I went from a 30GB database down to 5GB.  After that I ran fine for about a week.  No problems with these two tables.  Then I had to do a repair (Orion 9.5) and then applied SP3.  Now I'm back to the same problem.  Between the two tables the database is growing at a rate of 1GB an hour.

Something is out of control here!  I just spent 20 minutes on hold with tech support and had to hang up because I've got a meeting to go to.  After that I'll try to call again.  I find that opening tickets online results in a minimum of 24 hour response time (if at all).  So I always go the telephone route.  A shame really.

kahmeelyon

By the way, when I see this race condition I am also seeing these errors in the BusinessLayer log:

2009-08-05 11:52:50,724 [29] ERROR SolarWinds.NPM.BusinessLayer.NPMHelper - NPM Poller: Error processing SNMP results
                System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Transaction (Process ID 106) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.
                   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
                   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
                   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
                   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
                   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)
                   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
                   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result)
                   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)
                   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
                   at SolarWinds.Orion.Common.SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery(SqlCommand command, SqlConnection connection, SqlTransaction transaction)
                   at SolarWinds.Orion.Common.SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery(SqlCommand command)
                   at SolarWinds.NPM.DAL.PollerSchemaManager.RemoveNodeValue(Int32 nodeID, Int32 propID, Boolean keepHistory)
                   at SolarWinds.NPM.Base.DiscoverEngine.UpdateDevicePropertiesFromSNMPJob(Node node, PollerSchemaDevice device, SnmpJobResults results)
                   at SolarWinds.NPM.Base.DiscoverEngine.FindNodeDevice(Node node, SnmpJobResults results)
                   at SolarWinds.NPM.BusinessLayer.NPMHelper.ProcessSnmpResults(Int32 nodeID, SnmpJobResults results, Boolean checkQueue)

bshopp

You have NTA as well correct?  If so, please apply NTA 3.5 SP1 and I believe the issue should go away.  If not, please report back or open a support ticket