This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

DON'T Upgrade to 9.5 yet

Well, the upgrade process wasn't too bad until I started working with the map maker or network atlas, whatever it is called. (WTF) Needless to say several of my nested maps are completely FUBAR and I am going to have to rebuild them.  That's not so bad until you start messing with the new [edited] interface. If you wanted to infuriate me you succeeded. I don't want to run Microsoft Solarwinds 2007 with the stupid gadgets or widgets.  I want something simple, clean and intutive that works. Not cludgey, convoluted and counter productive. It should have been left alone.  Second problem I am having is with the NCM integration. Not working to at all. I am going to have to open a case with SW on this one.  Personally I would hold off on the upgrade if you can.

• Not over impressed with 9.5 either but as for Network Atlas, I am pretty happy.  More tools could have been added and it could be a little more intuitive but it is a step in the right direction for me.  Atleast its beginning to have the same mapping functionality as other mapping products.

• What's not working in the NCM integration?

• Hi,

First off, we're sorry about your experience with network atlas.  We would like to work with you through all the map issues you have.  The development team has been giving support all the attention we need to in order to help get customers working with the new maps, so please don't hesitate to open a ticket and reference this thwack thread.

We are also very open to feedback about how to make the product more intuitive.  What specific work flows are you looking at making easier or better?

Please also let us know about the NCM issues you are having as the development team will help you overcome those as well.

Thanks

• SJolly,

Sorry to hear your upgrade did not go so well. Please keep in mind that the upgrade has worked for many more customers than it hasnt.
    NCM and maps all upgraded fine with our install.  Yelling at people to not upgrade do soley with your experience will not help anyone. 
    SolarWinds will work with you to complete your upgrade and take notes to make future upgrades less painfull.

Although I do agree about Network Atlas.  I dont like the mimicking of MS office interface, and thought MapMaker was simple and easy. 
    Our NCM intergration went smooth.  No issues. 

Please take some deep breaths before posting frustrations.  You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. 
    SolarWinds doesnt HAVE to give us a Thwack forum.  They do it so they can help thier customers.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

That's not so bad until you start messing with the new retarded interface. If you wanted to infuriate me you succeeded. I don't want to run Microsoft Solarwinds 2007 with the stupid gadgets or widgets.  I want something simple, clean and intutive that works. Not cludgey, convoluted and counter productive.

OK.  We get that you don't like it.  We want to hear criticism as well as praise.   If you look around thwack, you'll see that we get plenty of criticism.  We listen to it, and we act on it as often as we can.  But that criticism needs to be constructive.  All we can get from your post is that you don't like the Office 2007 ribbon UI or the name.  We re-wrote Map Maker because of the many, specific complaints about its  usability.  Network Atlas addresses almost all of those issues.  If you can give us concrete usability problems, we can get those on the list.  We intend to keep improving this tool and adding more functionality.  v9.5 was just the first step.  Let us know what your issues, are and we'll take them very seriously.

• What I appreciate most about Network Atlas is the ability to align objects and move them about much more easily than with the old tool.  I also like the linking tool so I can keep my map and the weather map updated alot easier.

The only thing that personally have trouble with so far is the hyperlinking tool.  It wants to go to "logical page in Orion" which isnt always the most logical page.  I would like to be able to bring up the edit hyperlink window and point-and-click the object that I want it linked to as an option.

I know your post wasnt directed at me, but while we are talking about the things that might not work... I wanted you to know some of the things that were improvements.

• "the logical page in Orion" means using a default link for the object type. If the object is a node, the page is Node Details, if it is a map, the page is the MapView.

I do not really understand what would you like to have there. Would you like to describe that more in details? Thanks.

• Hey Michael.. I dont remember the exact situation but a couple weeks ago I was fixing some links that were broken after the move to 9.5 and I had to eventually find the http link for that node.  It was originally set for logical page but when that was selected it would go to a "page not found" type page.

I'll see if I can re-create the steps now that i understand what the "logical page" option is looking for.  Might have been something I was doing wrong.

Thanks