This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Polls Per Second Tuning

What does everyone use for this setting?

Is it best you always set the recommended?  Go higher if the box can handle it?

I notice that the more elements the box is monitoring the more those suggested figures with go up.

• I think it is best to set the polls per second to the value recommended plus or minus one or two units. Orion calculates this value based on the number of elements you are monitoring and the intervals for status and statistics collection that are currently set. The resulting value is the number of polls per second that Orion determines that it will need to put out each data collection interval in order to collect the required ICMP and SNMP data for all monitored elements.

If you set this value lower than needed, you will experience data gaps, if it is set higher, you are just wasting CPU resources.

• But my solarwinds is recommending values of 700 and 600 for icmp and snmp respectively but software donot allow me to exceed 300...can anyone help me please