21 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2009 7:41 PM by Steve Welsh

Cisco Router with Cisco Unity Express

Have a 2800 series router with cisco unity express.

There is no provided mechanism to backup the device (CUE).

CatTools is perfect for this but I'm not a coder!!

Can someone help me get past the point I'm at....

I'm using the device.cli.send to push the following commands;

serv serv 0/1 sess - this gets me into the cue module

after that need to hit enter key a few times to "wake it up" as you have to do this when you are logged in and interactive.

Once you hit enter a few times you get the prompt.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Paul.

• Re: Cisco Router with Cisco Unity Express

OK,

Found the Cisco.Other.CUE.

Just at the point where I'm trying to at least get a show run to output from this.

Have the router setup and the cue setup and my activity is the device.cli.send and the device it is pointing to is the cue not the router.

I saw another post on this and tried to pick up as much as i could but obviously not enough for me.

Everything in the debug window at bottom indicated that it ran through paces ok but i get no show run output and the report says the login failed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again,

Paul.

Wardini

Hi Paul,

Are you connecting to your CUE via a session (see the link below)?http://www.kiwisyslog.com/help/cattools/dev_connectingviaasession.htm

Or can you connect directly to the device?

Regards,

Wardini

Have 2 devices setup.

First is router (Cisco.Router.General)

Second is the CUE module itself (Cisco.Other.CUE) which connects via the first device as instructed in other threads.

In the host address field of the second device as instructed i have placed the command line required to gain access to the CUE module;

Example - serv serv 1/0 sess

It seems to be getting there but I keep getting a login failed in the reported output and the debugs.

Not sure what I am missing as there have been others that have said they got it working.

Really appreciate your help.

Paul.

Wardini

Hi Paul,

I attach two updated scripts for you to try. Backup your existing scripts first then copy these two into your scripts folder and try again.

Please let me know how you get on and post the relevant section of the infolog here for me to look at.

Regards,

Wardini

No luck.

Same issue.

In debug i see beginning login AAA and i've not even configured that.

In the CUE module you must authenticate with same user id and password as with the router.

How do you tell it to use a particular username / password to access the CUE?

I am connecting via ssh and therefore have an ssh username and password defined in the router.

Should I do the same for the cisco.other.cue device?

Thx.

Paul.

Wardini

Hi Paul,

Yes the CUE needs the user name and password details entered for it as this is what CatTools will use to authenticate.

Regards,

Wardini

I had put in the ssh user id and password and tried that but no go.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

paul.

Wardini

Hi Paul,

Can you enable capture mode, File|Enable Capture Mode then run the activity again. You should get two debug files created in the the debug folder. If you have a look these you may be able to identify the issue. If not can you post them both back here, ensure to *** out any sensitive data.

Regards,

Wardini

got it working using AAA username and pw.

Really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Paul.

Wardini

Cool,

Thanks for letting me know.

Regards,

Wardini

Hey Guys,

Trying to setup the exact same thing, got all the scripts and devices added. Unfortunately not having the same results as Paul. I can get to the session but it seems to stop there with the following error.

Did not receive VTY entry prompt from Cisco Other CUE

any help is always appriciated

Thanks

Marc

Steve Welsh

Hi Marc,

I checked the device script for that error message and it would appear that you are probably getting something back from the CUE device, however it is not one of responses which CatTools is expecting.

Can you confirm the following:

1) On sessioning to the CUE, are you prompted for a Password, or does it just log straight in (with no additional authentication require)?

2) does your CUE prompt en in either a '>'  or '#'.

3) have you set any values in any of the fields within the 'Prompts' tab of the device setup?  (if so, remove them and try again).

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve

thanks for the quick reply, i checked the prompt by manually going into my serv eng.

i get

CISCOROUTERXX#service-module integrated-Service-Engine 1/0 session
                                                        Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, 2066 ... Open

after hitting enter i get a prompt that looks like

CISCOCUE>

not prompted for username or password

Thanks

I removed everything in the password tab here is my log. it might help

0-07 08:09:26 3-Info 0 Kiwi CatTools Performing activity - Run Now
                                                            2009-10-07 08:09:26 4-Debug 0 Kiwi CatTools Starting CatTools_Client COM object. (5 threads)
                                                            2009-10-07 08:09:27 4-Debug 0 Kiwi CatTools Threads started. Thread count = 5
                                                            2009-10-07 08:09:27 3-Info 0 Kiwi CatTools Loading activity: Device.Backup.Running Config_1. Schd: 2
                                                            2009-10-07 08:09:27 4-Debug 0 Kiwi CatTools Marshaller - Running script. Device: CISCO-CUE
                                                            2009-10-07 08:09:27 4-Debug 1 CISCO-CUE ConnectViaGet - Device: CISCO-CUE says to connect via device: CISCOROUTERXX
                                                            2009-10-07 08:09:31 4-Debug 1 CISCO-CUE ConnectViaDo - getting all fields CISCOROUTERXX
                                                            2009-10-07 08:09:31 4-Debug 1 CISCO-CUE ConnectViaDo - Connecting directly to: CISCOROUTERXX
                                                            2009-10-07 08:09:31 4-Debug 1 CISCO-CUE Connected to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
                                                            2009-10-07 08:09:31 4-Debug 1 CISCO-CUE Login CiscoRouter: CISCOROUTERXX
                                                            2009-10-07 08:09:32 4-Debug 1 CISCO-CUE Login to CISCOROUTERXX was successful
                                                            2009-10-07 08:09:32 4-Debug 1 CISCO-CUE DeviceHostnameID: CISCOROUTERXX
                                                            2009-10-07 08:09:32 4-Debug 1 CISCO-CUE ConnectViaDo - Connecting to: CISCO-CUE
                                                            2009-10-07 08:09:32 4-Debug 1 CISCO-CUE Enable mode is needed before command can be issued
                                                            2009-10-07 08:09:32 4-Debug 1 CISCO-CUE Waiting for an echo of enable command
                                                            2009-10-07 08:09:32 4-Debug 1 CISCO-CUE Waiting for enter enable password prompt
                                                            2009-10-07 08:09:32 4-Debug 1 CISCO-CUE Already in enable mode, or no password was set.
                                                            2009-10-07 08:09:32 4-Debug 1 CISCO-CUE Waiting for an echo of term no mon command
                                                            2009-10-07 08:09:33 4-Debug 1 CISCO-CUE Issuing commands to connect from CISCOROUTERXX to CISCO-CUE via Session (router)
                                                            2009-10-07 08:09:34 4-Debug 1 CISCO-CUE ConnectViaDo - getting all fields CISCO-CUE
                                                            2009-10-07 08:09:34 4-Debug 1 CISCO-CUE Login Cisco Other CUE: CISCO-CUE
                                                            2009-10-07 08:10:04 1-Error 1 CISCO-CUE Did not receive VTY entry prompt from Cisco Other CUE
                                                            2009-10-07 08:10:04 3-Info 0 Kiwi CatTools Stopping Activity.
                                                            2009-10-07 08:10:04 3-Info 0 Kiwi CatTools All threads have finished. Now processing results...
                                                            2009-10-07 08:10:04 3-Info 0 Kiwi CatTools No devices have changed. Not sending report via e-mail
                                                            2009-10-07 08:10:04 3-Info 0 Kiwi CatTools Starting daily database cleanup routine
                                                            2009-10-07 08:10:04 4-Debug 0 Kiwi CatTools Purging DB ActivityLog table records older than 30 days
                                                            2009-10-07 08:10:04 4-Debug 0 Kiwi CatTools Purge of DB ActivityLog table successful
                                                            2009-10-07 08:10:04 3-Info 0 Kiwi CatTools Finished daily database cleanup routine
                                                            2009-10-07 08:10:04 4-Debug 0 Kiwi CatTools Error notification e-mail has been sent to: XXX@XXX.XX
                                                            2009-10-07 08:10:04 3-Info 0 Kiwi CatTools Run Now activity has completed

Steve Welsh

Which version of CatTools are you running?

Steve Welsh

Try the following revised Cisco.Other.CUE.txt script (within the attached zip file).

This should now handle the "... open" response from the device when the session has been established, then send a CR to reach the CUE hostname prompt.

Take a backup of your existing Cisco.Other.CUE.txt script in the \Scripts folder and drop the attached .txt file in its place.

Please let me know how you get on.

Steve

This is what I get now but my config folder remains empty

2009-10-13 08:01:52     3-Info     0     Kiwi CatTools     All threads have finished. Now processing results...
                                                                          2009-10-13 08:01:52     3-Info     0     Kiwi CatTools     No devices have changed. Not sending report via e-mail
                                                                          2009-10-13 08:01:52     3-Info     0     Kiwi CatTools     Run Now activity has completed
                                                                          2009-10-13 08:03:27     3-Info     0     Kiwi CatTools     Performing activity - Run Now
                                                                          2009-10-13 08:03:27     3-Info     0     Kiwi CatTools     Loading activity: Device.Backup.Running Config. Schd: 1
                                                                          2009-10-13 08:03:27     4-Debug     0     Kiwi CatTools     Marshaller - Running script. Device: CISCO-CUE
                                                                          2009-10-13 08:03:27     4-Debug     1     CISCO-CUE     ConnectViaGet - Device: CISCO-CUE says to connect via device: CISCOROUTERXX
                                                                          2009-10-13 08:03:31     4-Debug     1     CISCO-CUE     ConnectViaDo - getting all fields CISCOROUTERXX
                                                                          2009-10-13 08:03:31     4-Debug     1     CISCO-CUE     ConnectViaDo - Connecting directly to: CISCOROUTERXX
                                                                          2009-10-13 08:03:31     4-Debug     1     CISCO-CUE     Connected to xx.xx.xx.xx
                                                                          2009-10-13 08:03:31     4-Debug     1     CISCO-CUE     Login CiscoRouter: CISCOROUTERXX
                                                                          2009-10-13 08:03:32     4-Debug     1     CISCO-CUE     Login to CISCOROUTERXX was successful
                                                                          2009-10-13 08:03:32     4-Debug     1     CISCO-CUE     DeviceHostnameID: CISCOROUTERXX
                                                                          2009-10-13 08:03:32     4-Debug     1     CISCO-CUE     ConnectViaDo - Connecting to: CISCO-CUE
                                                                          2009-10-13 08:03:32     4-Debug     1     CISCO-CUE     Enable mode is needed before command can be issued
                                                                          2009-10-13 08:03:32     4-Debug     1     CISCO-CUE     Waiting for an echo of enable command
                                                                          2009-10-13 08:03:33     4-Debug     1     CISCO-CUE     Waiting for enter enable password prompt
                                                                          2009-10-13 08:03:33     4-Debug     1     CISCO-CUE     Already in enable mode, or no password was set.
                                                                          2009-10-13 08:03:33     4-Debug     1     CISCO-CUE     Waiting for an echo of term no mon command
                                                                          2009-10-13 08:03:33     4-Debug     1     CISCO-CUE     Issuing commands to connect from CISCOROUTERXX to CISCO-CUE via Session (router)
                                                                          2009-10-13 08:03:34     4-Debug     1     CISCO-CUE     ConnectViaDo - getting all fields CISCO-CUE
                                                                          2009-10-13 08:03:34     4-Debug     1     CISCO-CUE     Login Cisco Other CUE: CISCO-CUE
                                                                          2009-10-13 08:03:34     4-Debug     1     CISCO-CUE     Session open, clearing buffer Cisco Other CUE
                                                                          2009-10-13 08:04:04     4-Debug     1     CISCO-CUE     Cisco Other CUE Sending CR
                                                                          2009-10-13 08:04:04     4-Debug     1     CISCO-CUE     No VTY password was required to login to Cisco Other CUE
                                                                          2009-10-13 08:04:05     3-Info     0     Kiwi CatTools     All threads have finished. Now processing results...
                                                                          2009-10-13 08:04:05     3-Info     0     Kiwi CatTools     No devices have changed. Not sending report via e-mail
                                                                          2009-10-13 08:04:05     3-Info     0     Kiwi CatTools     Run Now activity has completed