This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Anyone managed to ever back up a Nortel 8600 switch?

Hi,

I have 2 Nortel Core 8600 switches and can't get Cattools to back up the configs at all.  I am already backing up Nortel 5520 and all our Cisco Equipment.

Anyone had any luck?

• I'm backing up 70+ Nortel Passport 8000's with NCM 5.5.  It didn't take much tweaking of the NCM template to get it to work to my satisfaction.   The script looks like this:

<!--SolarWinds Network Management Tools-->
    <!--Copyright 2007 SolarWinds.Net All rights reserved-->
    <Configuration-Management Device="Nortel Passport Devices" SystemOID=" 1.3.6.1.4.1.2272.30">
     <Commands>
      <Command Name="RESET" Value="config cli more false"/>
      <Command Name="Reboot" Value="reset -y"/>
      <Command Name="EnterConfigMode" Value=""/>
      <Command Name="ExitConfigMode" Value="top"/>
      <Command Name="VirtualPrompt" Value="#"/>
      <Command Name="Startup" Value="bootconfig config verbose"/>
      <Command Name="Running" Value="config"/>
      <Command Name="DownloadConfig" Value="show ${ConfigType}"/>
      <Command Name="UploadConfig" Value="${EnterConfigMode}${CRLF}${ConfigText}${CRLF}${ExitConfigMode}"/>
      <Command Name="EraseConfig" Value=""/>
      <Command Name="SaveConfig" Value="save config"/>
      <Command Name="Version" Value="show sys info"/>
     </Commands>
    </Configuration-Management>

Keep in mind that the script was built for Cisco-like devices, which only have a single config file that's split into two forms--the startup and the running.  Nortel 8000's have two files, which can both be different--effectively their own running & startup configs.  NCM treats the boot.cfg as the startup file, and the config.cfg as the running config file.  While that's fine for backing up purposes, your comparison (diff.exe) operations will always show the two files are different.

I've asked SW to tweak NCM to accommodate the Nortel style, but so far no luck.  Please contact me via e-mail if you have questions.

Rick S.

rschroeder1@smdc.org

• Problem is we don't have NCM, we only have Kiwi Cattools, which works fine for everything else apart from the 8600's.

Thanks

• What script are you using?

I believe the Nortel.Swithc.Passport should work with the 8600.

What is the exact nature of your problem?

Regards,

Wardini