This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Has anyone been able to set up a simple dashboard based on application device groups?

Is there any way that Solarwinds can be configured to display groups of devices based on a common application? eg., all network components (switches, routers), servers (virus scanning, Exchange backend & OWA web server) that are used to support MS Exchange or all network components or all the Finance system bits as a group. I would like to see the summary application view above what is supplied by NPM, APM.

• We have items you can group by out of the box like Machine Type, Vendor, etc. However, to do what I believe you are looking to accomplish right now you would probably need to use custom properties.  What you are looking to do is group infrastrcture by service, is that correct?

• Yes. Looking to set up hierarchy of application groups (eg., infrastructure/vendor/device type groups within application groups within customer groups) as using NPM & APM and I have large number of network & server devices. Have reviewed Custom Property feature in manuals. Do you have any examples as to how it may be used?

• Not sure if you have seen this, but on main network summary home page for the All Nodes resource you can click Edit and select up to three levels of node grouping.

• OK - will try with this feature & Custom Properties. What I was after was another Summary (second Home) Page to offer to non-technical viewers/customers & use restrictions to filter content. We are a new Solarwinds site & still learning the capabilities but are biased by existing monitor dashboards we are attempting to replace with NPM/APM. Old habits are hard to break.

• I've got it broken down by Company, site, and then device type

• I have tried to filer/group Applications based on server type and other custom properties but i have not been able to.  The only way I have been able to filter the like applications is to create the same applciation name for the servers that we are monitoring.  For example, if i have a SQL Publisher and 4 subscribers with different application names, i have not been able to filter them into the same group.  These applications end up getting filtered out by appllciation name, so the only work around i have come up with at the current point in time is to assign the same application template to the servers and modify whats monitored/collected in each template.  This way all 4 application servers show up under the same grouping of SQL Server.

I would really like to see solarwinds support the filtering based on a custom property or any other property withing the application.