This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Send incident information to a ticketing system such as HEAT?

Hi all,

I am wondering if Orion NPM has the capibility to sending incident information to a ticketing system such as HEAT to automatically great a trouble ticket when a node goes down, or an interface?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• This post suggests using SQL triggers to automate ticket creation. Orion can also send an e-mail to populate Remedy information.

• I use RT, and make extensive use of it's email queues.  However, I choose not to open a ticket with RT based off of an alert, because alerts can fire many times, every alert makes for a new ticket.  Conversely, doing some sort of direct injection into the SQL tables is possible, but I don't want 500 tickets opened for one router down for a week, in case nobody turned off the alerts, and they were firing.

If you were to carefully craft alerts specifically destined for the ticketing system and fired off emails that would not repeat while the condition still existed, it may be beneficial.  As it is, I've chosen not to create tickets from alerts based on those issues for the time being.

Peter

• We use CA's ticketing system called Service Desk and we now heavily use auto ticketing based on emails from NPM.  We had to tweak the alerts so they were not to chatty but it worked out great for us.

• Donald,

Realize this is an old thread, but I am curious what you had to do to cut nack on the "chattiness" of alerts in order to use them to open tickets? Care to elaborate? Thanks.