This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Orion V9.1 > 9.5 & SP1 upgrade experiences - "no pain, no gain" ?

I've upgraded from 9.1 NPM, APM & VoIP to 9.5 a couple of weeks ago.
I just installed SP1 yesterday & some more things are broken.
This is on a Basic SL2000 install with no custom ASP resources or maps.

- Packet Loss and Latency chart in Node Details view is broken
- Wireless LAN Controller polling has now broken completely
- VoIP call path tests are reconfiguring the routers every 2 minutes
- Import of network maps fails
- Report Writer formatting changed/lost
- Using IE6, there is no indication of activity in the browser after clicking a link and waiting for the page to display. There is no hourglass, animated flag or download meter displayed to indicate the request is being processed.

I've opened a couple of support tickets:
Case #100696 - "Network Latency and Packet Loss chart not working"

Case #101223 - "IPSLA VoIP router logs filling up"
<edit> case closed - I added text to the VRF field which broke the SNMP polling, since there are no VRFs on my shadow routers </edit>

Judging from other users posts here, I would wait until at least SP2 before doing this upgrade on a full blown Enterprise polling installation.
Things like Typos in DB tables should not be making it into Production release software.
The care and feeding of Orion is now taking up most of my time to fix features that were working fine before the upgrade.

• Yeah, the official "unofficial" guideline from Denny the other day was "Wait until SP2 at least".

I think it's SP2 + wait a week to see what else is broken.

If I had've upgraded this round I would have had to uninstall all the software, and reinstall it all from scratch using 9.1 and rolling it up to SP5.

What makes it worse, I have NCM, APM, and Netflow all running on it, so the process gets worse.

Peter

• Judging from other users posts here, I would wait until at least SP2 before doing this upgrade on a full blown Enterprise polling installation.
    Things like Typos in DB tables should not be making it into Production release software.
    The care and feeding of Orion is now taking up most of my time to fix features that were working fine before the upgrade.

Learning from experienced: I would wait minimum of 1 month before I make an upgrade.

1. Collect issues and resolutions from thwack, then

2. Wait for SP's releases

Though problems occur depending on users environment but I'd rather control my excitement over new features than updating right away then Rollback later =)

Thank you man!!

• Hi,

I am one of the "lucky" ones that did not wait....
    Case: 100456  - Jobengine causing 100% CPU Load ()
    Case:
    97428    - Jobengine having multiple instances ()
    Case: 97985    - Node uptime report not working anymore in NPM9.5 ()

Reason is we pay real money for updates and service packs so I expect they are tested accordingly....

Normally I would agree on youre statement but,
    if we all would do this then there would be no known issue's and service packs....

The only thing that is really disturbing at the moment is that Solawinds is not giving us the right feel at the time in solving the issues fast.
    This is really important to management as they approve the budget for next year……….

Living live at the edge ;-)
    Mars

• Hi,

I am one of the "lucky" ones that did not wait....

Normally I would agree on youre statement but,
    if we all would do this then there would be no known issue's and service packs....

Living live at the edge ;-)
    Mars

I did qualify my statement with "full blown Enterprise installation".
    I upgraded a stand alone SL2000 server & DB which is not heavily used.
    If this was our main Production Orion install, there would be hell to pay.

I know major corporations expect a stable software environment and have little patience for shoddy programming & broken applications.
    It seems like SW is getting the user community to do their QA testing at our expense.
    Most users just want to use the application and expect it to work the same as before an upgrade.
    Not everyone has the time to troubleshoot and open support tickets.

Here's another example:

When I click on Memory Aviable I get a red X in a box where the custom chart is supposed to be.
    In the Browser status bar, it states "Error on Page".
    Clicking on the Error in the status bar shows the following:

Line: 2702
    Char: 4
    Error: Type mismatch
    Code: 0
    URL:http//<orion-server>/Orion/DetachResource.aspx?ResourceID=143&NetObject=VS:10

This error message is present on the VoIP Site View page, even when the resource is not detached
    I understand mistakes do happen, but I don't know how stuff like this gets past QA testing?

Perhaps Solarwinds can reduce our annual maintenance fee based on the number of bugs like this that we uncover, since we are essentially doing QA testing for them?

....living securely in the middle, well behind the bleeding edge ;-)
    Art

• This error message is present on the VoIP Site View page, even when the resource is not detached
    I understand mistakes do happen, but I don't know how stuff like this gets past QA testing?

Perhaps Solarwinds can reduce our annual maintenance fee based on the number of bugs like this that we uncover, since we are essentially doing QA testing for them?

....living securely in the middle, well behind the bleeding edge ;-)
    Art

Considering how expensive the software is........Yeah we should have get something (if they cannot reduce annual maintenance, may be  a free 1 year maintenance will do hehehe.......

On the other hand, though this really looks like what is happening ( customer do the testing).....solarwinds introduced new features and upgrades free of charge, the will probably balance the equation (or not) hehehe.