This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Identity of critical logs please

I would like to know the name and file location of all of the critical logs that one should monitor relating to Orion NPM. Whether it is installation, repair, upgrade or just day-to-day operation, I want to know which logs server what purpose so I know what to look for.

Thanks for the help.

• run this: "C:\Program Files\SolarWinds\Orion\SolarwindsDiagnostics.exe"

It's pretty self explanatory

• Thanks jtimes, but that is not what I am after. I want to know what the important logs are by name and what they are used for so I can:

1. Troubleshoot some issues myself, and

2. Learn more about Orion functionality

Anyone?

• The important logs are in there, so you can get the names and do a search on the filesystem to get the exact path

• Yes, but surely I don't need to be concerned with all of the logs that are in the diagnostics app. Aren't there a few that you can identify that would be useful in day-to-day performace and troubleshooting of Orion?

• Most, if not all of the useful log files are in C:\Program Files\SolarWinds\Orion.  There names are exactly what they are; such as AlertEngine.Log is the Alert Engine log. 

I can honestly state that after several years of running Orion I have only looked at one log file on a regular basis (swdebugMaintenance.log.)  That is the nightly maintenance log, and haven't even looked at it since version 8.5.

It has been my experience that if you setup some system level alerts and alarms; as well as reviewing the Last 24 hour Events Orion pretty much runs itself as long as the hardware and OS are good (oh and thats where the majority of my issues have came from; which is outside of any of the Orion log files.)

• Hi Freemen,

Monitoring

The SolarWinds Diagnostics gather files that are useful to troubleshoot issues. It would be inefficient to use it for day to day performance purpose.

You should instead keep an eye if the services are running and check the Event logs.

You can access through WMI some information about most of the services like if you were in front of the perfmon console.

Concerning the Database, a DBA should be able to tell you what to monitor on it (file size, fragmentation of the indexes, disk performances)

Troubleshooting

Orion NPM is not a monolith and has therefore multiple services performing their own duties.

When you start looking at an issue, first identify which service is causing problems, then identify the log files that the service or component is generating. It is hard to detail you everything as this is on case per case basis that you figure out where is the information you need...

Orion Job Engine

=> SolarWinds.JobEngineService_XYZ.txt

=> SWJobEngineWorker_XYZ_%property{WorkerProccessSession}_[%processid].log

Orion Job Scheduler

=> SolarWinds.SchedulingService_XYZ.txt

Alerting Engine

=> swalert.log

Orion Network Performance Monitor

=> NetPerfMonService.log

=> Debug.log

Information Service

=> InformationService.log

Orion Information Service v1/2

=> Orion.InformationService.log

Orion Module Engine

=> NPM.BusinessLayer.log

Orion Syslog Service

=> Review the SolarWinds.Net events.

Orion Trap Service

=> Review the SolarWinds.Net events.

Other log files are created during the installation or when you apply a SP.

Others are created by Utilities (e.g. UnDP tool => UniversalDevicePoller.log) or by the DB Maintenance.

How to increase Logging Level: \Program Files\SolarWinds\Orion\LogAdjuster.exe

Remember to set the options to their initial levels once done your testings.

If I did not describe a file (which is the case I am sure :), please ask.

• Thank you so much Yann. That is the level of detail I was looking for. Appreciate it.

• Yann

I am trying to troubleshoot an issue and want to check logs for alerts, specifically around triggered actions.

Where can I find this info?

TIA!

• Larry - Take a look at the alertlog table in the database.  This is where the result of the trigger actions are stored.

Stuart