This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Track user activity in System Manager

feature request-- It would be nice to see certain events be associated with the user responsible. 

For instance -- Node 192.168.x.x Added by user Jsmith

or -- Node blahblah unmanaged by user Jsmith

• I assume you mean more of just a general audit trail log and not specific to System Management, more just to the Orion application?  This is an item we already have logged into the system

• Hi,

This is the exact thing that I want to know.

Don't NPM log user's action somewhere? 

• No, this is an open enhancement request

• We would like to see audit logging as well, for example by using the Windows Event logging. If I have understood it correctly, it is "self-cleaning", so you don't have to develop a logic for that. Or maybe using SQL table would be more flexible, just add a "delete audit log entries older than XX days" option to settings.

We have over 25 "administrators" ie. people that need node management access (over 4000 nodes of our customer and increasing), so an audit log would have been nice to have in many times: "who has added this device", "who had deleted that device", "who had put this to (un)manage" etc.

Markku

• I have created something similar that may be useful. Although this does not acutally log who does what inside of system manager it does track who opens system manager and at what time, along with when it was closed. You can then use this to compare with the add/edit log of Orion.

How I accomoplished this:

1. Created a scritp that logged an entry into Event Viewer and called Orion System Manager exe
    2. Replaced all shortcuts of System Manager with the script I created. Changed the Icon to match the Orion System Manager icon.

If you want more information on this please PM me and I will be happy to chat over email and send you detailed instructions and code.

Thanks.

• I would also like to add my voice to this feature request.

We have been having a few issues lately with 'who did what' and 'when'.

The OP suggestion regarding appending the user id to the existing event messages seems like a great idea, and I wouldn't think that hard to implement (as against a full audit log type facility).

Dave.  

• Jason,

I am thinking about getting the audit trail setup in NPM. Would you email me?

• Hi Jason, 

I´d like to have more information about it.

Thank you.