7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2009 8:19 AM by Riyaz Khan

Cisco PIX 525 failover monitoring

profzoom1

Is there an alert or does someone out there know what OID's or Mibs to monitor to be alerted when a Cisco PIX 525 fails over to the standby PIX firewall.

We currently have 2 Cisco PIX 525 firewalls and they have failed over a couple of times and we are not alerted when this happens. Our Mars box gives this error - PIX-1-105005: (Secondary) Lost Failover communications with mate - I am not seeing anything in my syslog on my Orion box that says this for the time that this happened - Curious about that as well since we have all our pix syslogs going to our Orion box as well.

Is there a way to be alerted when this failover occurs?

Any help would be appreciated.

• Re: Cisco PIX 525 failover monitoring
          lchance

Do you have an account with Cisco forums? You might get your best answer from their Network Management forum. If you don't then I can try to ask for you.

Does Cisco PIX's inside interface support CDP where you could use UnDP to monitor for this condition? Just a thought...

profzoom1

I do not have an account on that forum and would appreciate the help in presenting the question on another forum.

As for the CDP being enabled on the inside interface is not enabled.

lchance

I'll let you know what/if I hear anything from that other forum.

lchance

By the way - have you tried using this Cisco PIX OID in UnDP? I've monitored VRRP and HSRP using something similar to watch for Active/Standby changes.

Riyaz Khan

Hi,

But how i monitor Active-Active Failover in PIX 535/FWSM Module,This will helpfull when we are using Active-Standby Failover.

Failover On
                        Last Failover at: 20:57:46 IST Apr 2 2009
                         This context: Active
                          Active time: 6099630 (sec)
                            Interface outside (202.137.232.20): Normal
                            Interface insideAS (202.137.239.1): Normal
                         Peer context: Standby Ready
                          Active time: 303385 (sec)
                            Interface outside (202.137.232.21): Normal
                            Interface insideAS (202.137.239.2): Normal

Stateful Failover Logical Update Statistics
                         Stateful Obj  xmit       xerr       rcv        rerr     
                         RPC services   0          0          0          0        
                         TCP conn  1723723700 0          10245      0        
                         UDP conn  3852856396 0          41553      0        
                         ARP tbl   2245583    0          0          36       
                         Xlate_Timeout   0          0          0          0        

Regards,

Riyaz

lchance

profzoom1,

Here's the response I got back from another forum - I hope this helps:

Only if you do the following, which is basically a duplicate of the syslog you got, except as SNMP trap:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/pix/pix42/configuration/guide/pix42adv.html

"To receive security and failover SNMP traps from the PIX Firewall, compile the Cisco syslog MIB into your SNMP management application. If you do not compile the Cisco syslog MIB into your application, you only receive MIB-II traps for link up or down, and firewall cold and warm start."

Riyaz Khan

Hi,

But how i monitor Active-Active Failover in PIX 535/FWSM Module,This will helpfull when we are using Active-Standby Failover.

Failover On
                            Last Failover at: 20:57:46 IST Apr 2 2009
                             This context: Active
                              Active time: 6099630 (sec)
                                Interface outside (202.137.232.20): Normal
                                Interface insideAS (202.137.239.1): Normal
                             Peer context: Standby Ready
                              Active time: 303385 (sec)
                                Interface outside (202.137.232.21): Normal
                                Interface insideAS (202.137.239.2): Normal

Stateful Failover Logical Update Statistics
                             Stateful Obj  xmit       xerr       rcv        rerr     
                             RPC services   0          0          0          0        
                             TCP conn  1723723700 0          10245      0        
                             UDP conn  3852856396 0          41553      0        
                             ARP tbl   2245583    0          0          36       
                             Xlate_Timeout   0          0          0          0        

Regards,

Riyaz