12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2009 1:48 PM by bshopp

Network Discovery in NPM 9.5 Problem 'Failed to update network topology'

GaryP

Afternoon all, I'm in the process of setting up an Orion NPM system running the newly released 9.5 codebase.

A scan of the range 131.231.2.1-131.231.11.254 fails, telling me to examine the discovery log for details. Firstly, I can't find a 'discovery log' anywhere on the system, but '\program files\solarwinds\orion\NPM.BusinessLayer.log' seems to hold some clues:

<quote>

2009-06-03 13:06:54,478 [3] ERROR SolarWinds.NPM.BusinessLayer.JobSchedulerEventsService - Error while processing discovery results

System.Exception: Unable to store dataset for profile. 1 ---> System.Exception: Failed to updated network topology. ---> System.ArgumentException: String does not match the pattern for an ethernet address.

Parameter name: ethernetAddr

at SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Discovery.DataAccess.DiscoveryIPAddressEntry.Insert(Int32 nodeID, Int32 profileID, String ipAddress, String ethernetAddr, IPVersions version)

at SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Discovery.DataAccess.DiscoveryNodeSet.InsertIPAddress(IPAddresses nodeaddrs)

at SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Discovery.DataAccess.DiscoveryNodeSet.Insert(NodeElement node, Int32 profileID)

at SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Discovery.DataAccess.DiscoveryTopologySet.Update(NetworkTopology topology, Int32 profileID)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Discovery.DataAccess.DiscoveryTopologySet.Update(NetworkTopology topology, Int32 profileID)

at SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Discovery.DataAccess.DiscoveryTopologySet.UpdateDatabase(NetworkTopology topology, Int32 profileID)

at SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Discovery.XML.NetworkTopology.StoreIntoDatabase(Int32 profileID)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Discovery.XML.NetworkTopology.StoreIntoDatabase(Int32 profileID)

at SolarWinds.NPM.BusinessLayer.DiscoveryJobSchedulerEventsService.ProcessJobResult(FinishedJobInfo jobInfo)

2009-06-03 13:06:54,947 [5] WARN  SolarWinds.NPM.BusinessLayer.NPMBusinessLayerService - GetDiscoveryJobProgress(): Error status on profile ID 1

</quote>
      Clicking 'OK' returns me to the Discovery front page with a 'failed' discovery entry, however this entry actually seems to hold my discovered devices and I have successfully imported them into the database. Now, I have no way of knowing from the, less than verbose, error message above which nodes actually failed to import, which ethernet address it had issues with, etc.
      Any bright ideas on what the underlying problem is, here, or to solve it?