0 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2009 12:45 AM by Network_Guru

IPAM 1.0 first impressions rev. 2

Network_Guru

I've been in much the same boat as IPAM 1.0 First Impressions. I finally got a working version of the IPAM eval software today after upgrading my Orion server from 9.1 SP5 to 9.5.

I was consulted before the development of this software, and it nice to see the use of custom fields and IPv6 implemented. But I've found it is lacking the same feature as many other IPAM software tools do on the market.

One of the main functions of this tool in our organization is to complete requests for IP addresses.
      Our group manages 10 Class 'B' networks worldwide and processes many IP address requests each day.
      We have a web based tool which users use to request IP addresses and switch ports (among other things).
      Tthe provisioning team was using a customized Access DB written to do this, along with exporting (or copying) the assignments back into the web form and closing off the request.
      The notification to the user of the completed request includes the IP/port assignment info.

What is missing in this and most other IPAM products is a hierarchical relationship between the four main fields.
      When I assign an IP address I want to see all the whole tree of information associated with the IP address.

Example:

1. Top Level network info - Canada
      2. Supernet info - Ontario
      3. Subnet info - Toronto, Datacenter, Floor, Default Gateway, Subnet Mask, VLAN, Purpose, etc.
      4. IP address info - IP, Switchport, Datarun, Rack, DNS, Contact, etc.

So when an admin or user clicks, searches or assigns an IP address, all the info listed above must be displayed on the same page.
      More importantly, there must be some way to export all this info associated with a single (or multiple) IPs.

As I see it today, there are 2 issues with trying to do this with V1.0:

1. There is no way to export the data for a single or group of IP addresses (the export button exports the whole subnet, not just the IPs selected). A single chassis/blade server can chew up dozens of IPs in a single request, and having to retype or reformat this info for every request is tedious and time-consuming.
      2. The export does not include the tree data. EG. rather than having to create a Default Gateway property in the IP address field and populating it 254 times with the same GW IP, enter it once in a Default Gateway property in the subnet field and export it along with the IP address info. The same goes for any of the "Custom Properties" a user creates in any level of the tree. IE. always export the data in the tree above the current branch, along with the current branch data.

I use the term "Custom Properties" loosely, as I've found that these are not real CPs, but attributes in another table. They cannot be used to create reports with Report Writer, as they don't show up in the CPE.
      As a workaround, I was hoping to create a Custom Report that would include all the elements in the tree, but sadly this is not possible with Report Writer.

We evaluated (and had budget for) a tool which costs 10 times more than Orion IPAM, but it was ultimately rejected because it did not meet these basic requirements (this tool also did DNS and DHCP).
      It seems most tools lose the tree data when you branch out, which means having to replicate the same tree data many times in the IP address fields.
      If I search for an IP address, then also show me the Country, City, Building, Floor, etc. assigned to the Network, Supernet & Subnet associated with this IP and then let me export this data as a csv or xls file. (Note: right click > Export to Excel, does not work with IPAM as it does in almost every other Orion module).

I hope this makes sense.