46 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2010 3:14 PM by moconn00

System Manager functionality in version 9.5

freemen

Did I miss something in the release notes for 9.5? The Node Details screen for any node I look at has all function buttons except Manage Node and List Resources grayed out and unavailable.

Is that by design? It seems about all that is left to System Manager is the ability to manually add a node, change monitored resources and display some basic data about the node. Am I right?

• Re: System Manager functionality in version 9.5

Our direction is to move most functionality to the web.  As we add to the web console, we will start to remove functionality from System Manager because System Manager was written a long time ago when the options in code with limited user interface options. Contemporary web consoles offer far richer options, so that's where we are focusing our efforts.

freemen

Thank you EZakes. So, System Manager is functioning as designed?

With the functionality attrition rate, how long does SM have to live? :)

vhcato

Our direction is to move most functionality to the web.  As we add to the web console, we will start to remove functionality from System Manager because System Manager was written a long time ago when the options in code with limited user interface options. Contemporary web consoles offer far richer options, so that's where we are focusing our efforts.

Elisabeth,

Just based on my limited experience thus far with the "Manage Nodes" function on the web, it seems to be a much slower and more cumbersome means to perform our normal ACD's within Orion as compared to System Manager. I find it more efficient to RDP to the polling engine and use System Manager than to use the web thingy. I understand the desire to webify everything, and the potential upside to doing so, but I also think I would chew my fingertips off if I had to rely solely on the current web mechanism for this function.

I guess it depends on how many changes one makes at any given time, but the wait time associated with page reloads following every change that is made just drives me nuts. My desktop is not the fastest thing in the world, but it's even painful when doing it from the NPM server itself, which has plenty of horsepower. It may not be as noticeable when dealing with a relatively small number of elements, but it can be a real pain when you have tens of thousands of elements with which to play.

One thing I find particularly lacking in the web version is the ability to use the mouse to highlight a group of interfaces and click on a button to include or exclude them. It might not sound like much, but depending on a number of factors such as the number of contiguous interfaces you wish to toggle, it can be a real time-saver.

Without some improvements in performance and function for the web mechanism, I would hate to see System Manager go. :(

freemen

I have to agree with vchato on this. There are some performance advantages to keeping System Manager around. Just something to think about.

I would like to chime in and state that I also enjoy using the SM as oppsed to the web. 
                      Is it possible to keep the basics of SM, while exploring the benifits of the web GUI?
                      Managing nodes using the Web GUI is great in a pinch, but the speed and ease of the SM is by far better.
                      As mentioned before, this is essecially the case when dealing with MANY elements.

denny.lecompte

While at CiscoLive, we've been doing some analysis of where the web UI is slow.  We've already got some ideas for how to make that workflow a lot faster.  Stay tuned.

jbaulsir

I want to chime in here, WEB Management is nice but System Manager is a better solution for adding and maintaining nodes.  We have 4000 elements and find the WEB UI slower than SM. 

As a for instance, there are times when there are name changes on interfaces/Volumes, that requires the "new" interface/volume need to be added and the old one deleted.  I have thus far not found a way to delete the old interface/volume using WEB management.  It should be added (if it’s not there already) but please don't remove the functionality from SM.

Also I can't seem to change a node from SNMP to ICMP only on the WEB UI. 

Again, please restore full functionality to SM.

JB

denny.lecompte

As a for instance, there are times when there are name changes on interfaces/Volumes, that requires the "new" interface/volume need to be added and the old one deleted.  I have thus far not found a way to delete the old interface/volume using WEB management.  It should be added (if it’s not there already) but please don't remove the functionality from SM.

Also I can't seem to change a node from SNMP to ICMP only on the WEB UI. 

Those are two specific issues that we'll add as bugs and get those fixed.  We aren't going to restore System Manager.  System Manager is based on older code that has significant limitations; those limitations will prevent us from delivering a lot of features that are in high demand.  So we can't go forward and keep System Manager. 

So we are trying to focus on the issues you have with the web because we can remedy those.  So please keep descriving those specific issues.

jbaulsir

I understand the limitations with the old SM but how about a new SM without all the old leftovers from the toolset NPM? 

Something that would give administrators capabilities manage nodes/interfaces/volumes and pull together some of the other utilities like poller tuning, custom properties, database manager, service manager etc.   There are 19 additional "management" programs under the Solarwinds Orion program group, please don't tell me all of them will be ported into the web UI.

If you want to discuss this please give me a call, you have my number.

JB

denny.lecompte

I'm not ruling out a new System Manager, but that's a major effort.  We would need to conclude that re-writing that UI is more important than a whole bunch of other apps.  It could happen, but give us a chance to make you like the web UI.

We are not going to port everything to the web.  Not even most of it.  They don't make sense because they're not used often or by very many people.

ecornwell

I think it would be interesting to know a little more history for each person.  I know we started on version 9.0 and we almost never use the system manager.  I don't like giving out RDP access to a bunch of people.  I think most people like the web interface and I like the fact that anyone can add a device anywhere.  (We currently monitor around 1000 devices.)  When we first got started, I used the system manager more than I do now to get things going but now that things are stable, I never use it.   There are a few things that are slow at times in the web manager but most of them have been addressed in this post.  (Things like multiple page loads, etc.  I think making custom properties being able to have drop downs would be a huge benefit.)

My feeling is most of the people that are having a hard time with system manager going away have been running Orion for a lot longer than we have. 

bleearg13

My feeling is most of the people that are having a hard time with system manager going away have been running Orion for a lot longer than we have. 

I think you're probably right about that.  We used to use the SM even long after the web interface was released.  Web was slow and clunky.  With the release of 9.5, we use the web interface almost exclusively because it's much faster now.  However, everyone's environment is different and I think that's what SW is up against.  We manage about 7500 elements and have NCM running on the same box and don't see slowness issues with the web console.  We also poll most every interface every 5 minutes.  Then again, we don't use IE6.  I'd be curious to know what the barriers are to deploying IE7 in corporate environments.  Security?  Manageability?  End user clue?

ecornwell

I know why we are using IE6 and slowly moving to IE7.  We have applications that are written to work with IE6 and I think most everyone knows how bad IE6 (and even IE7) is when it comes to following established web standards.  We've had some apps not work properly with IE7 because of some of the features that were added.  There has been a push to move to it but I personally don't think it will help.  IE8 seems like it will be better going forward.  That's what I'm using now and I haven't had a problem with anything.  I also think the change in interface and the way that both IE7 and IE8 deal with self signed certs.

I don't know if this is the "best way" to delete an old interface that's in an unknown status, but it works for me.

Change the listing sequence from "nodes" to "interfaces" then check-box the grey entries.  Then click on "delete" and respond to the "are you sure" message.  Then change the listing sequence back to "nodes" and you're done.

bleearg13

I would like to chime in and state that I also enjoy using the SM as oppsed to the web. 
                                            Is it possible to keep the basics of SM, while exploring the benifits of the web GUI?
                                            Managing nodes using the Web GUI is great in a pinch, but the speed and ease of the SM is by far better.
                                            As mentioned before, this is essecially the case when dealing with MANY elements.

Just my 2 cents...

Personally, I've found that the web console is much faster than System Manager.  It takes several minutes for SM to open up a device that has a few hundred interfaces on it.  In addition, it takes even longer for SM to list resources for that same device.  Conversely, the web console is much faster with listing everything immediately and querying the device for resources.  Not to mention that I would have to open up the RDP program, RDP to the box, sign in, wait for it to log in to the account, and then open up SM.  I find the SM is good for many things, but speedy management is not one of them.  This is the pickle that SW is in - some customers say web mgmt is faster, while others find it unbearably slow.

I too would have to agree with vhcato. I couldn't imagine trying to manage all of my devices using the web interface, it is god awfully slow.

Thanks for the feedback, as always. I'll make sure this is noted by the Product Manager!

vhcato

Please tell Denny "THE COMMUNITY HATH SPOKEN!!!" :P

I haven't yet installed 9.5, but in 9.1SP4 managing the nodes in web is incredibly slow. It is totally unusable.

We have 4000 nodes with 14000 elements.

SolarWinds, I know you are keen on including new features (we like that as well!), but getting the management performance better has to get more priority on your development.

tdanner

Quick question: what browser versions are you guys using?

I absolutely agree with the previous posts! The previous version of NPM was slow and I usually used the System Manager because of that. With 9.5 the web version is even slower.

On a different note, my web version of 9.5 is not showing the nodes any longer. It used to show all nodes on the left side of the page under "All Nodes". The heading is still there, but there are no nodes under it. Now I have to click on "Manage Nodes" to see all of my nodes. Is that by design? If so, please bring the old way back!

ecornwell

The thing that I've noticed is slow is when it first loads the node list (and then every time it refreshes it.)  It can take a few seconds to load so if I have to change 10 items, I have to go through that each time.  I've really noticed it when I want to seach and make changes on a few devices.  I search, make a quick change, wait... wait... wait... search, quick change, and wait... and so on.

casey.schmit

Both Brandon and Denny hear you.  :)

What are the tasks you all are doing that are painful?  Are you using grouping to limit the number of items that show up at a time?  The more details about pain points you can give us, the better we can focus our efforts.  Going after 'X is slow' might result in us going after something you all don't care about.

So far I see dealing with large number of items and the pain associated with editing an item, then going back to the initial WNM page).  What are the other specifics?

vhcato

Tim,
                                                                In my case, I'm using IE7 on my workstation and IE6 on the NPM server. It's naturally a bit faster when running in the browser on the NPM server itself, but it's still not where it needs to be.

Casey,
                                                                I've tried various grouping scenarios and though the different options do seem to impact performance, none of them really provide the kind of responsiveness that I would call "livable". Using no grouping at all is an absolute no-no, but some of the scenarios I've tried have been a bit faster, but nowhere near "snappy". The ideal grouping scenario that I would want to use is by facility (location), since the majority of my changes are focused on activities at a particular facility, but RDP and System Manager is still much more effective.

I think the premise of "general slowness" really does apply in this case, and the main reason is due to the fact that no matter what function you are doing (add/change/delete node/interface/volume) when you click the button to perform the action, it takes you back to the main "Node Management" page, which takes a while to load.

In our environment, we monitor the network infrastructure devices and only the switch ports that interconnect these devices (not client access ports). The only case where we monitor access ports is on the data center server farm switches, where we monitor all interfaces. Something that happens quite often in our environment are project activities in which we send resources out to one of our locations to redesign and/or upgrade all the LAN components within the facility. As part of this, let's say we have 30 switches at a facility prior to the revamp. Now that the changes are all implemented, I need to go into Orion and delete 5 switches, delete 10 interfaces on other switches, add another 10 switches, add new interfaces on 10 of the remaining switches, and add 10 wireless AP's. OK, deleting the 5 switches and 10 interfaces can be done in one step. Adding the other elements (10+10+10) requires me to wait for the main "Node Mgt" page to load 30 times. This doesn't even take into account the time it takes to go through the pages where the stuff is actually added. Granted, there are some wait times when using SM, but nowhere near what we see on the web.

Something else to remember is that for customers like us who use custom properties to control everything from the alerting to which devices show up in which views, the web doesn't provide the same flexibility with regard to viewing and editing custom properties. Now I know you can select multiple nodes or interfaces and edit the custom properties for the ones selected all at once, but this really doesn't compare to the ability to see all custom properties for all element types at the same time without the need to bounce back to the list on the web. The web just doesn't give the same level of access as the CPE on the NPM host. With that, I would still RDP to the server to perform this function.

tdanner

The main node management page is fairly heavy in terms of javascript execution, and the two browsers you are using, IE6 and 7, and have (by far) the slowest javascript engines of any browser in use today.

I wouldn't expect all your issues to go away, but you might see an improvement if you try a browser with a faster javascript engine, such as Firefox, Google Chrome, or even IE8.

denny.lecompte

I'm actually on vacation, but I wanted to repeat what Casey and Tim have said:  we hear you.  What I hear is that there are some cases where the web UI is slow or more awkward than System Manager.  Some in this thread are suggesting that the answer is to keep System Manager.  That would be one solution, but it's a very costly solution.  To provide the community with other functionality that they've been asking for, we need to move beyond what the original System Manager code can do.  It's just too limited. 

Our long-term UI strategy is to move that functionality to the web.  In general, what we hear (not just on Thwack) is that people want admin functionality in the web.  If it's still awkward for certain cases, then we hear that, and we'll address it.  But if we were to try to maintain both an admin web console (which is a must-have for most of the user base) and a Windows UI, we would spend a lot of engineering time building features twice, which would mean fewer features overall.  And that's not the result we all want either.

My point is that we are definitely listening, and we will address your problems.  That's what we try to do.  But I'm providing a lot of insight into the decision process that leads us to pick a certain solutions.  I trust that since you're all IT folks, and you have your own end users whose problems you are trying to solve, you appreciate the art of compromise. 

So the more detail you can provide on use cases that are slow or clunky, the better.  We can do our best to improve those use cases as soon as possible.

Hope that provides some visibility into what we're thinking, and I hope it reassures you that we are committed to addressing your concerns.

Now I am temporarily in Louisiana, and I have a date with some soon-to-be-boiled crawfish.

vhcato

Tim,
                                                                            I may try IE8 on my desktop and see if that helps. IE is our corporate standard, but I'm not sure that v8 has been adopted yet. I might also sneak Firefox on there and give it a go as well. :)

Denny,
                                                                            I hope I didn't come across as saying I think you should support two solutions going forward, as I understand that causes additional overhead. I believe the general consensus is that the more elements one has in their Orion instance, the more sensitive people are going to be to delays associated with whatever mechanism is used to manage those elements. It seems that the larger deployments are going to be the ones more likely to feel the pain, so it's good to hear that you're dedicated to finding the best solutions for everyone going forward (not that I had doubts).

You guys have always been, and continue to be the most interactive and responsive to customers' feedback of any of the software vendors with whom I've worked, and I'm sure this is a key factor in the continued success of the company. Having said that, can I have my ASP support back?... :P

justinh

Hi Denny and team,

My use of the system manager for node management is mostly just to add/remove nodes/interfaces.  Even with the latest Firefox, it's almost faster to log on to the server with RDP, open System Manager, find the node I need, right click and "List Resources" than it is to simply check a box and "List Resources" on the web console.  This is especially true on those routers where we have a lot of tunnels, Virtual Interfaces, sub-interfaces, etc...

The major difference, from my point of view, between the system manager and the web console is that the system manager is a single application.  The web console is a bunch of separate applications (pages).  When I use the system manager, I load it once, and it's done.  When I use the web console, I have to load and re-load for every function I have to perform.  From an interface perspective, that's a death sentence for any application with any amount of complexity or functionality.

I have no objection to you adding things to the web console.  Please, make it more useful.  Keep improving the bits you've got and keep adding functionality.  I hope that in time it becomes functionally equivalent to the system manager.  At that point, I would love to use it instead of remote desktop.

What I object to is the removal of existing functionality for no apparent reason.  What does it hurt to keep the system manager as it is until the web console is up to par - even if you never add new functionality to the system manager?

smcdonald

Just my two cents on this.  I always use the System Manager as the preferred tool - it's MUCH faster and easier to manipulate nodes currently - although I'm all in favour of a web based solution currently I find some things quite slow and a few things I cannot do.

For example - if a server drive is replaced or removed from the machine I still see it in the Node Details but when I try to remove it using the Web Interface it doesnt appear so I need to go into System Manager to remove the orphaned drive from the the Node (I can only remove working volumes or add new ones).  I beleive the same is true for interfaces too?  I assume this is getting fixed before you remove this from system manager :)

Also - in the same vein are you thinking of retiring the Custom Property Editor?  I find the program based one WAY better than editing on the web - although I like using both!  I've found that when using the web interface I can't see other devices so it makes it difficult to match up Descriptions, Models and other information to ensure it's in the same format as other nodes to make sure they're all the same - can we have some kind of table view for the Custom Property Editor if it's going web based?  Perhaps maybe we could setup Pre-Defined Properties in a drop box for each field too - that would save me a lot of time.

the_toilet

you hit the nail right on the head there...  removing the custom property editor would be a disaster, but it is available as an app directly from the solarwinds program group, so i would expect it would remain a non-imported tool.  i use it like you in that i have to copy one above to make sure i have it formatted right, and sometimes i update a 100 hosts at the same time with copy and paste

denny.lecompte

you hit the nail right on the head there...  removing the custom property editor would be a disaster, but it is available as an app directly from the solarwinds program group, so i would expect it would remain a non-imported tool.  i use it like you in that i have to copy one above to make sure i have it formatted right, and sometimes i update a 100 hosts at the same time with copy and paste

Nobody said anything about moving the customer property editor to the web.  Note that we added the ability to update and assign custom properties values from the web. If we didn't have that, you would have to RDP to your Orion server for even a simple change.

Debbi

The problem I have besides the huge slowness is that when I add or edit a node I need to add or edit alerts at the same time.  I have not found where to edit alerts in the web console.  Maybe I am looking right at it?  -Debbi

tdanner

The web console does not yet support editing alerts. You still have to go to System Manager for that.

I'm curious about how you have your alerts set up. Why do you need to change them every time you add or edit a node?

Debbi

We have some devices that, in addition to our WAN group knowing about them, the telecom group also needs to know about.  So we have a separate alert for the tcom folks for both the nodes and interfaces they are interested in when they go down.  Similarly, we have a group of devices and interfaces that an outside vendor needs to know about and one for the things our firewall group needs to know about.  So those are in our master WAN alert as well as separate alerts for these groups.  Some interfaces are backup circuits and we have a special alert for those so that if they show traffic, we know the backup link has kicked in.  We have alert suppressions set up for some of our sites, requiring a separate alert.  For some of our devices/interfaces we also get paged, some not.  We have a separate alert for our most critical interfaces for times when the bandwidth exceeds a threshold. The vendor of some of our circuits has maintenance windows and we don't want to get alerts for those particular sites during those times, while we do want to continue to receive alerts about the other kinds of circuits.  So we broke those out into a separate alert we could turn off when needed.  We have a separate alert set up for devices off of our firewall zones so we know if the firewalls are being hinky.  A lot of the data center interfaces are just servers, but some are special WAN devices and we don't want to know about the plain old server interfaces on the weekends (we do not monitor the servers themselves, that is supposedly done by another group).  If we replace a device, which we do a lot of each year, the interfaces change and have to be re-added to alerts.  So each time we replace/add a device we evaluate what alerts it and its interfaces need to be added to.  I imagine we could streamline some of this, but whether using basic or advanced alerts you are still performing a set of actions based on certain criteria.

Thanks for asking.

Debbi

Congo

As part of this, let's say we have 30 switches at a facility prior to the revamp. Now that the changes are all implemented, I need to go into Orion and delete 5 switches, delete 10 interfaces on other switches, add another 10 switches, add new interfaces on 10 of the remaining switches, and add 10 wireless AP's. OK, deleting the 5 switches and 10 interfaces can be done in one step. Adding the other elements (10+10+10) requires me to wait for the main "Node Mgt" page to load 30 times.

Casey: My problem is best described, actually, by vhcato. Load times in between actions is killer.

I separate most nodes out by custom properties, but these groups are sometimes still in the hundreds. Sorting by vendor or otherwise and still, I am in the hundreds. Waiting for all of these to load is painful. Chopping it up into only displaying 50 or so at a time (as a solution) would be a step in reverse.

The places where I DO use the console is for mass manage/unmanage. This is actually useful here. I do not perform mass custom property edits here, because that is also easier in the custom property editor.

Reading Denny's reply is disheartening. Web applications will always be slower than their local counterparts.

casey.schmit

OK, so that's another point for the load times between actions.

One thing we've talked about is forcing less page loads when doing different actions.  That will help.  We're looking at the speed of List Resources.  That will also help for some of the cases you all have described.  We're looking at overall page load speed as well.  We have several options in front of us, and we're looking at all of them seriously.

Congo, I used to agree with you that web applications will always be slower than a local Win32 app.  Over the past year or so, I've really started to see web apps that are as fast as their local counterparts.  The Google suite of applications(mail, doc, spreadsheet) is what has really started to make me a convert.  That's not to say it's easy, but it is possible. 

Even if we can't be as fast as System Manager was(and we are trying), hopefully we'll add functionality that makes it better to use.  The best example of that is the ability to work with multiple nodes at once.  That's helpful, but apparently not enough to overcome the performance problem you are seeing. 

One other random question for folks, what browser are you using?  IE6?  IE7?  Firefox 3.0?  I ask because we're starting to rely more and more on Javascript, and our internal testing has shown that Firefox and IE8 are much faster than IE6, and faster than IE7.  Firefox 3.5 is supposed to be faster still, but we haven't had an opportunity to benchmark it ourselves.

ecornwell

One other random question for folks, what browser are you using?  IE6?  IE7?  Firefox 3.0?  I ask because we're starting to rely more and more on Javascript, and our internal testing has shown that Firefox and IE8 are much faster than IE6, and faster than IE7.  Firefox 3.5 is supposed to be faster still, but we haven't had an opportunity to benchmark it ourselves.

Casey,

Currently our corporate standard is IE 6 and we are getting ready to start pushing IE 7.  I loaded IE 8 as part of a special test group.  We are not allowed to use Firefox internally.  I use it at home and love it but please keep this into consideration going forward.  A lot of us don't have a choice when it comes to browsers.

casey.schmit

We know IE6 is a standard in a lot of corporate environments.  For folks who can move to a more modern browser, you'll get performance improvements because they have faster javascript and rendering engines.  It's safe to say we won't limit what we can do to things that work fast in IE6 and we will constantly suggest moving to a modern browser. :)

We tried to add a couple of our hotspots via the website, and man, was it a pain. It is much quicker doing it through the system manager, and I agree with a lot of the people that posted before me.  The SM is, for the time being the better option.

I also don't understand why we should deviate from the company standard, which is IE to use browser with a faster JS engine?  I mean, the engineers toolset is designed to work on IE and not firefox?

I am glad I read this post before upgrading, because it doesn't make sense to remove functionality from something that is actually functioning within it's intended scope, and this point, along with the slow website interface will delay my upgrade process for a bit.

The only functionality which we use from the web management console is to put multiple nodes into an unmanaged state, the rest we do in good 'ol SM :)