11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2009 11:28 AM by rwsim

Aged Unused Switched Ports

Is there a product or enhancement that will identify aged unused switched ports on a Cisco switch?  That is, ports that have not been used in several days, weeks or months.  Cisco LMS has this functionality but I am interested in a Solar Winds solution.

I am an current Orion NPM/NTA user.  I have asked this question several times already with no reply.  Please confirm if this functionality exists or if it will be included in a future release.

• Re: Aged Unused Switched Ports
          bleearg13

I would imagine this can easily be done with Report Writer.  Just create a report that shows all switchports that have been down and their last status change was greater than 1 week ago (or any other timeframe).  You can have the report emailed to you on a daily or weekly basis.

I am not currently monitoring all access swithports.  Would that be necessary to run the report?

bleearg13

Can you give me an idea of how Cisco LMS provides this functionality without monitoring the ports themselves?  Maybe it does, I'm just not familiar with it.  Without knowing how LMS does this, I would say that the ports would have to be monitored in order to run a report on them, as Orion can't run a report on something that it has no knowledge of in the first place.  Put another way, if you're not monitoring them now, how would you even know that they are in use or not to begin with? 

I don't how LMS gets the info.  I run a report from Campus Manager/User Tracking/Switchport Usage/Unused Up - pick a switch and it shows a list of ports.  I suspect the data is in the switch and LMS knows how to mine it.

NPM is set up to monitor router, trunked and channeled ports but not user ports.  I have a few thousand access ports and only a 500 node license.