3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2010 11:44 AM by MarieB

Cisco EnergyWise and Orion NPM

As you may have seen already, we've included a number of Cisco Energywise features in Orion NPM 9.5. We'd love to have your feedback!

Some things to think about as you incorporate these features into your network monitoring and management:

1. What are your thoughts and impressions of Orion's Cisco EnergyWise management capabilities?
      2. How has Orion's Cisco EnergyWise management helped you in your Cisco EnergyWise deployment(s)?
      3. Are Orion's Cisco EnergyWise management capabilities easy to use?  If not, what was confusing?
      4. What are the top 3 things you like/love about Orion's Cisco EnergyWise management?
      5. What are the top 3 things you don’t like about Orion's Cisco EnergyWise management?
      6. Are there other readiness reports you’d like to see to help you plan your Cisco EnergyWise deployment?
      7. What could we do to make your Cisco EnergyWise deployment easier?

We're really looking forward to hearing from you!

• Re: Cisco EnergyWise and Orion NPM
          Smyle1

All,

I would like to share my thoughts:

The feature is nice, but not functioning as it should. First off, when you go to "Node Management" and group by Energywise, you are shown the following:

-Energywise Capable

-Energywise Enabled

-Not EnergyWise Capable

While those groupings are nice, they aren't accurate. For example, if you select all the devices that are "capable" and choose "Manage Energywise" in the dropdown for more options, you get the option to "enable EnergyWise on these Nodes". After you click on that, you are brought to another window that allows you to configure the parameters for the group of nodes you chose.

The problem with this is that this will let you configure the paremeters regardless if the device has an Energywise-IOS installed. If you then continue the process, you will see a status of "Waiting" and then "Executing"...and it doesn't go any further.

Now, if only a single node was chosen that didn't have the correct IOS, you would get stopped immeadiately and the parameter section is grayed out.

Also, I can tell you that the IOS support isn't working correctly. For example, I had a Cisco 3750G with an IOS of 12.2.(50) SE2. However, when trying to enable the Energywise feature, it states "Energywise data is not available on IOS versions prior to 12.2(50)SE". Once I changed my IOS to 12.2(50)SE1, it worked perfectly. Also, I have a Cisco 2821 Voice Gateway. It is at 12.4(20)T2 however when trying to add to Energywise, I get the same error of "Energywise data is not available on IOS versions prior to 12.2(50)SE1"

This is an initial release so I understand that there will be some errors here and there. I hope to see some of these issues resolved soon. If any screenshots are needed of this issue please let me know. I would be more than happy to post.