3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2013 2:07 PM by jonathan at solarwinds

Log Forwarder Questions

This was a nice surprise!  I have been wanting a program like this for a long time. 

A few questions...

1.  Has a pricing model been established for this product?

2.  Where are the silent MSI installation instructions?

3.  Is it safe to assume that all of the configuration settings will be stored in LogForwarderSettings.CFG when the product leaves Beta? 

Maintain,
      Babul

• Re: Log Forwarder Questions
          chris.lapoint

We were hoping you'd say that! ;-)  

We haven't nailed down the details on pricing, but currently our thought is to provide this to all customers current on maintenance at no additional cost.

I'll have to ask Mike (Syslog dev lead) to respond to your last two questions.

Kuz

2.  Where are the silent MSI installation instructions?

Just run the msi on the target machine.

SolarWinds_LogForwarder_0.1.0_Beta_Setup.msi /quiet

3.  Is it safe to assume that all of the configuration settings will be stored in LogForwarderSettings.CFG when the product leaves Beta?

Yes, all the subscription and syslog server configurations are stored in LogForwarderSettings.cfg

To deploy the configuration to a target machine, copy LogForwarderSettings.cfg to the Log Forwarder installation directory after the msi has installed successfully. (<program files>/SolarWinds/Log Forwarder for Windows/LogForwarderSettings.cfg).

jonathan at solarwinds

1.  Has a pricing model been established for this product?

The SolarWinds Log Forwarding service is FREE if you own another SolarWinds product such as Log & Event Manager or Kiwi Syslog Server.

However, if you want to "try before you buy," you can also get a "30-day trial" of the Log Forwarding service (i.e., you have to buy another SolarWinds product to keep using it) when you try Kiwi Syslog Server.

InKiwiSyslogEval.png