1 Reply Latest reply on May 25, 2009 8:10 AM by Yann

Question about working with a custom OID in IIS

Hi guys, i notice that there's a 'currentConnections' SNMP counter in IIS that can be used to track connections to a web server.

The OID for it is 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.7.3.1.13

I've been able to add it as a monitor for a device (the Webserver) and start trapping data.

Unfortunately the following issues are frustrating me.

I can't see where to control the value being monitored, and if it hits a value higher than 100, it triggers an alarm. I don't need an alarm, and would like to raise this value to 5000 or something. I'm not so much in an alarm for this monitor, simply trapping (and reporting on) the value being recorded.

Speaking of reports. I just raised a support call asking how to display it, and I'm pretty sure that the display kind 'SNMP value' will simply return the value. Is that correct?

All advice appreciated

Cheers, Shane Bryan.

• Re: Question about working with a custom OID in IIS
          Yann

Hi Shane,

I just replied to your case but wanted to share it here as well:

First ensure you configured the monitor to store historical  statistics.
          If you do not do this reports will always be empty for this monitor.

Click on Device and drill down to your monitor.

Click on it to edit it.

In the Identification section, select the "Store Monitor Statistics for  Recent Activity and Historical Reports".

Click on Ok at the bottom right of the view.

Once done this, Click on Reports tab.

Under My Reports column, click on Add new report.

Let selected the "Select a single monitor" mode.

Click on Select a Monitor and pick up the monitor you have created.

Click on Next.

Select Recent Activity for the Time Selection and Select None for the  comparison selection.

Click on Next.

On this page, let only selected "SNMP Value" for the DataTypes. This is  probably the 'data kind' you were looking for.

Click on Next.

Click on Preview and keep editing your report till you get what you need  for the layout.

Once you are done, click on Create. You will be able to view your reports  from the Reports tab.

HTH,

Yann