8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2009 1:42 PM by mudshark

Wake on LAN for multiple PCs

Howdy all

Seeking ideas on using WoL to wake several different PCs, here is what I found and what I wonder...

I found that for each PC to be woken I need to enter both an IP and a MAC. To start a PC, select in 2 different drop-downs both the MAC and IP, then click the WAKE button.

So in order to have several PC shortcuts, each to wake 1 PC, I found there is

1- no command line qualifiers to force the desired IP/MAC

2- no way to store PCs in a table, so that choosing a PC would cause WoL to automatically know which IP/MAC

SO I WAS WONDERING...  If I install WoL into different directories, 1 WoL installation per PC to be woken up, will each installed instance know only ONE PC or is the info store centrally?

Thx

RG

• Re: Wake on LAN for multiple PCs
          qle

I haven't tried the free WoL utility from SolarWinds but does it work if you only specify the MAC address? If not, there are other utilities that allow you to specify only a MAC address, assuming the machine you're trying to power up is on the same subnet. Otherwise, there are utilities that will allow you store information about each PC and then select them from a list to wake them up.

SolarWinds' Wol seemed so ideal at first but not only can you not easily pick which machine to start, you cannot delete a machine's previously saved IP/MAC!!!

So, what other utility(ies) can you point me at?

Thx

RG

qle

Take a look at Wake On LAN Ex 2 to see if it meets your needs.

So far I haven't found any product that works well for my needs... However, I am still hopeful that I can bend Solarwinds' WoL product to my will though!!!

I tried completely uninstalling SWWoL then re-installing into 2 separate and distinct folders, expecting that each installation could act in a stand-alone fashion, storing IP/MAC data independently from each other, so I could run one or the other as needed from a shortcut.

I was wrong!

In spite of uninstalling and re-installing into completely non-standard folders it didn't matter which folder I run the EXE from they BOTH still remember ALL the old IP and MAC info previously entered before the uninstall.

SO ---  Where is this data stored so I can 1) Delete the old data and 2) get the EXEs to each pick specific data independent of each other?

Thx
                      RG

Maddog - If the machine you want to wake up is on the same subnet, you can always use the broacast IP address for the subnet, with the correct MAC address for the machine to wake up.  A WOL enabled adapter will see it's MAC in the payload and will fire right up.

If it is not on the same subnet, you would need to supply the directed IP addressto get the packet correctly routed.

FYI: the settings are stored in the registry - HKCU\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\Wake-On-Lan.

HTH,

Greg

If the machine ... to wake up is on the same subnet ... use the broacast IP for the subnet, with the MAC address for the machine to wake up.  A WOL enabled adapter will see it's MAC in the payload and will fire right up.

Both machines that I need to start remotely do start up for me with WoL but the thing is - I am looking for a WoL product that will allow me to select which machine to start based on a name, as opposed to a MACX or IP address.

With only 2 PCs I can remember which MAC is which, but this will not scale to many more before I need a reference sheet to know which machine to select.

I also tried WoLEX which seems to be exactly what I need  (it allows PC selection by name in a list), except for the fact that it doesn't wake my computers!

FYI: the settings are stored in the registry.
                              HTH, Greg

Yes, that does help... It helps me know that I can't use multiple installs of WoL, one for each PC to wake, as they will all just look in that 1 spot for their PC data!

Thanks much,
                              Rich