This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Views for Unknown Devices (or generic net-snmp - Linux machine types)

Views for nodes can be determined by the 'Views by Device Type', but that is dependent on the SNMP-derived Machine Type information obtained from a device.  We have a couple of devices which report "Unknown" (mostly Geist PDUs), or are "Unknown" because they are ICMP monitored (only).  We also have several different types of devices from IPS sensors, to Network General Sniffer Appliances, to Spam Firewalls that all report "net-snmp Linux" and because of that, we can't define custom views for each type of device.  An IPS sensor has different custom resources we'd like to display that isn't relevant to a Spam Firewall, etc.

I'd like to see a way to manually specify what view a particular device will use.  An administrator can be using the "Views by Device Type", but under the "Edit Node" style of options, I'd like to see a manual drop-down of available views that will override/take presidence over the "by Device Type" settings.  This way, I can browse our Spam Firewalls, Edit Node, and manually chose the "Spam Firewall View" I have created and the "net-snmp Linux" by device type won't apply for this particular device.

Surely, this is doable to code.  Would anyone else see value in this feature?  Thoughts?  Suggestions on how to address these kinds of view limitations today?

• Hi,

We also have several different types of devices from IPS sensors, to Network General Sniffer Appliances, to Spam Firewalls that all report "net-snmp Linux"

You can change this, see this thread: NET-SNMP?

HTH,

Yann

• Thanks for that heads-up.  I'll have to check out the availability to modify this in Cisco IPS sensors and Network General InfiniStream servers.  As both of these are appliance-based solutions, I'm fearful that my tweaking availability might be limited.

Thanks.

• I have requested this feature in the past, so I would definitely see value to this.  You absolutely cannot change the System OID for appliances, so the method suggested by Yann will not work.  That said, it's a good suggestion for servers that you can do this with.

• Yeah, I've had no luck changing the System OID for our Barracuda spam firewalls, Cisco intrusion prevention sensors, or Network General sniffer appliance.  We also have a couple hundred Secure Computing SG8100 VPN appliances for SOHO sites, which also report as only "net-snmp", that I also can't change.

Thanks for the responses, however.