2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2014 2:48 PM by odnap1104

Alert for when volume disappears

bmg4357

I am the SolarWinds administrator at our site.  Sometimes the SAN engineers will change a volume mapping on a server and I don't know about it.  I have to manually go back through the entire day's events and look for something like this:

evcluster01.nes.local-Q:\ Quorum 3c3b77ae- Volume no longer exists. Data collection suspended. 

I would like to set up an alert that emails me every time a volume disappears, but I'm having trouble figuring out what the alert condition should be.  Is it the Volume Index that changes?  What conditions should be met in order for this alert to trigger? 

TIA

• Re: Alert for when volume disappears
          Yann

Hi,

The advanced alert do not contain any fields you could use to trigger an action based on an event.

I suggest you create a thread in the NPM Feature Request section.

Alternatively there is an unsupported way of executing your own SQL Query in an advanced alert.

Since the EventType you are looking for is Volume Dissapeared (EventType=210), it should be straighforward to customize an alert assuming you are used to SQL syntax. I advise you to read the following thread to see how you could perform this:

Can I create Advansed Alert with count?

HTH,

Yann

• Re: Alert for when volume disappears
            odnap1104

Hi,

I have the same issue but i would want to troubleshoot why the message appears when everything seems to be  working. But i don't know where to start.

I am using SAM 6.0.0. These messages appears only when monitoring the filesysytem in unix. Any thoughts or solution?