30 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2014 12:16 AM by JesperVestergaard

NPM and Cisco WAAS

NTeam

Hey All,

Was wondering if Cisco's WAAS is/could be on the roadmap for being supported by Solarwinds??

Have roughly 15 of these devices in our network and would love to have the pretty stats in solarwinds for reporting and such.

Thanks

Michael

• Re: NPM and Cisco WAAS
          bshopp

What specific items would be valuable for you to see within Orion on the WAAS

NTeam

That is a very good question...

I will chat to the senior network engineers and get more details on what they are after...

From what i understand NetQoS is currently one of the only products to retrieve the data correctly and accurately (don't quote me on this though)

From my understanding they are after Graphs displaying the percentage of accelerated traffic, what's been saved by using WAAS, and the breakdown of the traffic (similar to Netflow)

These type of reports are built into the Central Manager in the WAAS deployment.

4.1.1b and higher will give you better reporting.

NTeam

Elliott,

Thanks for the response. At the moment we are retrieving our reporting from the Central Manager however my boss would like to have everything within Solarwinds and Automated reporting / alerting from there, this would also allow the collection of all WAAS Statistics by solarwinds as well and could add another graph to the Node Details page.

Not sure if it will ever be possible but can always hope :)

Thanks

Michael

RoutingGeek

+1 on this request.  Cisco's Central Manager is a pain.  We have enough places to get information that having these details centraled in NPM would be great.  Things of most interest would be the "compression" graphs, and the sub-compression graphs for the top accelerators (IE:  HTTP, CIFS, Citrix).

Also, anyone else notice that the jump to Orion NPM 10.2.1 breaks the memory monitoring of WAEs?  Since the upgrade last week, Solarwinds is showing all of my WAEs at 99-100% memory utilization, but the boxes themselves show otherwise.  Right now, one box that shows in SOlarWinds as 99% is really at 80% based on "show memory" output from the WAE.

(SolarWind's Case #299944 - "NPM 10.2.1 breaks memory stats on Cisco WAAS)

Thanks,

David.

Ciag

Hi David,

I just upgraded to 10.2 and have noticed this too what was the resolution to your case?

Regards

Ciaran

zizi

Hello Ciaran,

Are you able to collect MIB walk from your device using built in SnmpWalk.exe tool (located in Orion installation directory)? Also, please provide a screenshot/information from device's console, so we know which are the valid values for memory size and memory used reported by device's OS.

Thanks,

Marek

Ciag

I don't have access to the devices apart from a monitoring perspective. This isn't specific to one device. All the WAE boxes show indetical behaviour since I upgraded, looks like an OID might have changed. I'm working on getting access to the devices to get a different perspective of the memory stats

Ciaran

JesperVestergaard

I´m seeing the same behaviour on my NPM 10.2.2 install.

Did you find a solution for this ?

Ciag

Jasper,

I have opened a support ticket for this but have not yet made any progress. I will keep you updated with this as information becomes available

Regards

Ciaran

bsciencefiction.tv

Please update with your solution.  We are having the same issue.

Ciag

Hi folks,

my case has gone in a different direction for now to deal with a more pressing issue, so I managed to do some digging and I have for the first time been able to access one of these WAE boxes to look around and see what the command line tells me what it thinks the memory utilisation is. Going by the output below it looks like the currrent reading in Orion since the Upgrade is now the correct value. Which means the value prior to the upgrade was incorrect whatever NPM was polling to get that previous value I do not know. See the output below it exquates to 92% memory utilisation which is what NPM is now telling me in the web.

I am now trying to gain access to further WAE devices to see if their data matches that of this device.

WAAS1-WAE#sh proc mem

Total                Used                Free      Shared      Buffers      Cached

986476544      909725696      76750848      0      29618176      201039872

qbarry

+1 on this request - would like to see native support in NPM for WAAS devices. Anyone have any updates?

Leon Adato

Adding my voice to the mix. We have a need of it at my company as well.

dyogoaj

WAAS Flow Monitoring is very specific and these flows can be processed only by NetQoS and you  will need NetQoS SuperAgent for this. The NetQoS SuperAgent processes  the flows received from WAAS FlowAgent (which again was developed by  NetQoS) sitting on the WAE. More details in the below link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/nsite/enterprise/wan/wan_optimization/chap04.html#wp1053045

There is some solutions that does that using API; because Cisco let you do that. SolarWinds should do something like that to a future release.

malcolmsmash

Has this made it on to the roadmap yet?  We also have a large WAAS implementation in our enterprise and would love to be able to view these stats in Solarwinds NPM.

We are currently running WAAS 5.3.3 & NPM 10.6 and currently send traps for things like TFO Overloads, but being able to see connection stats & graph this data would be extremely beneficial.

Thanks.

JesperVestergaard

+1

We have a rather large deployment with current 150 devices and counting.

Would like to see tfo overload, trigger on corespace files found (and action them also, like delete them after x days)

In addition a comparable monitoring of the optimized raw result (how much bandwith saved) to validate the reporting done in WAAS central manager.