This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Going back from cattools professional to free edition but unable to remove the license

I am trying to go back to the free edition of cattools.

In the past the free edition only allowed to use 5 devices, the current free edition allows 20 devices which is sufficient for me.

In the past I purchased the professional edition of cattools, this version can no longer be purchased, its either the free or the enterprise edition.

I completely uninstalled the cattools software and manually removed the remains in the registry under: HKLM\Software\Kiwi Enterprise\Cattools

After a reboot I reinstalled the cattools free edition, which I downloaded from the website.

If I try to start the cattools manager I get the error message:

Warning! Your current software maintenance plan is not valid for this version.

Please purchase a software maintenance plan extension, or install an older version.

If you have new license details, press OK to enter them now.

After this popup I have the option to "Enter New Details" in the licenseinformation. Clearing these fields is not accepted (old license info remains intact).

It seems the license is stored somewhere outside of the installation directory or standard registry location.

I am pretty sure that I have the correct version, my download is named: CatTools-v3-Free.zip but in the zipfile the installer is: Kiwi_CatTools_3.3.17.setup.exe

I wonder if there are actually two different installers or that the difference is only determined by the enterprise licenseinformation.

Does anyone have an idea how I can remove the old expired license?

• Sorry that I can't help you but I have a similar problem.  I'm taking the helm of our network monitoring from someone who had a licensed enterprise copy in 2006.  I rename the old directories and install the new free too.  The same error comes up.

I hope someone who might know the answer reads this and responds.

Thanks,

DustCollector

• Hi everyone - I'm sorry this has taken so long to reply, but I've recently taken over as the PM of CatTools and had this question come up again. If you download a trial version of CatTools and decide not to buy a license, it will revert back to the free version in 30 days. If you have a licensed version, you can continue running it without renewing maintenance if you choose. I hope that helps, 

--Christine

• I've just had the same problem

here's my solution

download regshot (to compare registry)

uninstall cattools run it first time (1st shot)

install cattools

run it second time (2nd shot)

compare results - look under values modified section of generated txt file..

for me suffice was to delete reg keys :

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{CC282932-4E4C-2A83-4DF2-58AB67A7E0F5}

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Licenses\{IAC1C576AD1B2D62D}

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Licenses\{0AC1C576AD1B2D62D}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Kiwi Enterprises

(backup them before deletion...)

I tested it on virtual machine, the first entry differs for every machine/system (and contains some strange looking chars and values)