5 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2009 2:20 PM by bleearg13

How to Clear Alert when Interface comes back up?

bgrossman

I would like to have an Interface-Down alert that automatically gets Cleared when the matching Interface-Up condition is detected. Am I missing something obvious to make this happen?

Interface-Down is currently disabled due to the high volume of messages we get when it is on...

Thanks,

Benjamin

• Re: How to Clear Alert when Interface comes back up?
          bleearg13

Wouldn't the "Reset Conditions" tab in the Alert Manager work for this?  Just set it to "Reset this alert when the trigger conditions are no longer true".  Or maybe I am not fully understanding the problem.

bgrossman

Not as far as I can see. That turns the Alert "off", but does not "clear" it.

I am hoping to use the "clear" flag to allow members of the team to know which items have already been addressed, and which still need someone to deal with them. In general, once some types of things are back up, we no longer care about why they were down; so I would like to automatically "clear" them.

From what I can see, Resetting the Alert just prepares it to be activated again. This is quite different from logic that matches the UPs to the DOWNs and helps simplify the NOC's work.

bleearg13

Just so I understand, are you talking about the "Acknowledged" function on the Alerts page or the "Clear Selected Events" on the Events page?  Or something different?  I would assume the first, but would like you to clarify before suggesting a possible solution.

bgrossman

Good question.

I'm not sure; we are still trying to get our heads (and procedures) around using Orion in a shared environment. I think this depends on some SW roadmap issues---how is this supposed to work in the future?

I was thinking Events today; Alerts will be a very small set in our world. But I would like to be able to sort out Events for Interface Downs and tell right away which ones are still down, and which are up again.

bleearg13

It sounds like you want to set up a custom page that shows events and currently down interfaces.  I'm not sure if this is helpful to you, but let me explain what we do for downed T1 interfaces with Orion and maybe it will spark an idea for you.

We use Custom Properties to set properties on interfaces we monitor.  One is called TT (Trouble Ticket) and one is called TT_Date.  When an interface goes down for more than 5 minutes, an email gets sent to our ticket system, which is email-based.  The email contains basic information about the interface, such as a link to a custom view on Orion that allows our NOC to change properties such as Customer ID, Customer Name, Carrier, etc., in the event that this info is wrong.

The NOC personnel are also supposed to update the TT and TT_Date fields with the corresponding ticket number and date, respectively.  If the procedure is followed properly, anything that's had a TT put into it will, by definition, mean that someone has looked into the problem and is actively working on it.  This has the added benefit of any subsequent alerts for that interface being emailed directly to that ticket number history.