This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Network map - Detailed information for links connecting network devices

Hi,

I am new to Solarwinds and we are migrating our existing cacti implementation to solarwinds orion. One thing that is very important to our management is network maps based on the utility based on http://www.network-weathermap.com/. Here is a sample of what I am looking for ...

1) Is it possible to change the color of the links in orion based on the utilization and bandwidth usage ? 

2) If not, I read somewhere that you can add information on the pop window on mouse over the link in the map. How to achieve that ?

Thanks

Avnish

A real-world example, donated by Tim.

• Avnish,

I don't think it is possible to change the colors - but - that's an excellent thought and maybe it is coming soon. I sure hope so.

The popup that you mentioned does work and it works well. I use it in a lot of my maps plus you can actually present the values on the map, see below an example i created.

These values come from properties from the Node, like Interface name, Interface speed, Interface Utilization and so forth. These properties are variable labels, like ${InPercentUtil} or ${OutPercentUtil} .etc and I hope this helps.

I've blocked out the label names in this screenshot so it might seem confusing, but I hope it gets the message across showing Bandwidth and Utilization for making maps.

• lchance,

Thanks for replying back and I think you suggestion will resolve my issue to an extent. However, I am not sure how to it in Mapmaker. Can you please send me small writeup procedure on how to get those labels on the map. Do they refresh automatically after sometime?

I tried that mouse hovering based on maptooltip but it doesn't seem to be working for me either. Please help ...

Thanks

Avnish

• lchance,

I was able to put labels on the Maps based on variables and thank you for the suggestion. However, I am having issue with the hovering popup window. Can you help me with that ?

Thanks

Avnish

• Avnish,

Sorry, my mistake about the popup. I must have been thinking of Overview, where you can select Interface Percent Utilization and there the popup works this way. These variables do not follow the popup, but instead these can be published on the map, like the example i posted. Sorry for any confusion.  Also, there's a default timer in ADMIN Web View for refreshing a Map and this would cause those variables to get updates, this is why i include a date/timestamp on most of my maps. I don't recall the map refresh default number of seconds because I've changed mine to a custom value. I've been reading there will be big improvements coming to Map Maker. I'll be ready to see what those might be.