7 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2009 12:45 PM by bleearg13

Huge list of feature requests!

bleearg13

Some have been mentioned before, but not sure if they are on "the list".

Request 1:

Building on the following post, Ability to use $(NodeName) in Sylsog Alerting, it would be nice to be able to assign custom properties to the syslog table.  I have a bunch of devices that for some reason do not have a feature to set the syslog source address.  Being able to assign a "NodeName" to an IP address seen in the syslog table would be great, so I can filter on that and do correlation much better.

Request 2:

Having an alert action that will update a custom property.  I could have sworn this used to be in Orion, but maybe I saw it in a dream once and thought it was real.

Request 3:

Ability to create a summary page that contains graphs from multiple devices, without using Custom HTML.  Being able to simply select a node and interface in a resource would be ideal.

Request 4:

Customization options for UnDP graphs.  I'd like to be able to set things like the upper limit, lower limit, units, and scale (logarithmic or linear).

Request 5:

Option to set custom properties on interfaces during Node addition on the web console.

Request 6:

Ability to add view limitations to more default pages, such as AllMaps.asp, to prevent unauthorized knowledgeable users from being able to put a page in the address bar and pull it up.

Request 7:

Ability to use SQL in Advanced Alerts.  This can help tremendously with alerts that should be triggered if say, a custom property is configured with a date/time, by using a relative timeframe.

Request 8:

Ability to migrate statistics from one interface to another, in the event that an important interface gets moved from one device to another and you don't want to lose the stored stats.

Request 9:

Ability to do transforms in UnDP that involve more than one poller.  For instance, {Poller1}/{Poller2} or {Poller1}+{Poller2}/8.

• Re: Huge list of feature requests!
          casey.schmit

Concerning request #9, that should work today.  As long as both pollers are assigned to the node(or interface) you should be able to do that.  Are you talking about unrelated pollers?

Something that may help, we support using the various ${} macros, including {$SQL: } ones.

bleearg13

Concerning request #9, that should work today.  As long as both pollers are assigned to the node(or interface) you should be able to do that.  Are you talking about unrelated pollers?

Something that may help, we support using the various ${} macros, including {$SQL: } ones.

I was not aware of the ${SQL:} ability, so I'll check that out.

denny.lecompte

All good feature requests.  Most are already in the system and under consideration.  I added the couple that were new.

kbenton

For Request #2:

Request 2:

Having an alert action that will update a custom property.  I could have sworn this used to be in Orion, but maybe I saw it in a dream once and thought it was real.

You can do this in a Basic Alert, but not in an Advanced Alert.  Can this also be added as an action for an Advanced Alert?  This would be really useful for creating more complex dependency and suppression scenarios, such as dependencies between data collection items that can't be directly compared today - like using a custom poller to provide a trigger decision for an APM alert.  You could do this in 2 steps by having a UDP alert that sets (and reset = unset) a node custom field; then specify that custom field in the APM alert trigger (along with the APM criteria.)  Today you can't do this (without hackery) because you have to use an Advanced Alert with custom pollers, but the update custom field action is only available in a Basic Alert.

I would assume this is the case because custom fields can be set on any "type" that you can alert on in a Basic Alert, but those alert types are expanded in advanced alerts (UDP, APM, etc), creating a disparity - seems like you could get around this with some coding, though.

bleearg13

You can do this in a Basic Alert, but not in an Advanced Alert. 

I knew I saw this in Orion once.  I don't use Basic Alerts anymore, so it didn't dawn on me to even look there.

And, to keep piling on (don't you just love this Feature Request forum?):

• Ability to assign a custom view to a specific node.  This can sort of be done by using Views By Device Type, but it won't work in my situation because I have several nodes that are showing up as just "Linux" or "net-snmp".  For some of these vendor-manufactured devices, changing the System OID isn't an option.