9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2009 2:18 PM by zyontrific

NOC View/Dashboard - is this available for NPM, APM, & Netflow?

I have been searching for a way to come up with a single page or possibly two and then trying to use an add-on to rotate the pages every few minutes, but I haven't found a "dashboard" within Orion similiar to one I found tonight in IPMonitor, or a way to get a decent network map setup to show this.

Originally we were told that we could do a "3d Map" of our network and then just have icons change color when there was an issue.  After working through that with support we found that the graphic will only go from green to red.  No yellow for high mem, cpu, low disk space, down application, etc.

Does anyone have a NOC view/dashboard suggestion, screenshot, something I can go off of to get this done? I have googled the hell out of this and can't find one.

Seems like alot of people have the same issue though and none of the many posts I found tonight seem to have an answer.
      I hope I don't need to buy IPMonitor just to get a simple screen view.....

• Re: NOC View/Dashboard - is this available for NPM, APM, & Netflow?
          jbaulsir

Well I'm kinda new at creating NOC Screen (we just got a 42" display in the Data Center) but I started think about what we needed to see and since we have pretty extensive alerting, I wanted to see the worst of what's going on.  Like Down Node/Server/Infrastructure (ATSs,UPSs,KVMs,HVAC Units, etc. and extreame utilizations like interface/cpu/volumes), and we need to know the time at other offices.

Here's a screen shot of my first attempt, I'll add additional screens as we move forward, I'm thinking of past 24 hour temperature graphs from the datacenters and servers rooms.

JB

Thx!  I will keep following this.  I am working on it but I just haven't found a good view just yet.

I heard someone put a page up of many guages using iframe but haven't gotten that to work yet, I can't shrink them down enough to fit alot on one page.

bleearg13

Well I'm kinda new at creating NOC Screen (we just got a 42" display in the Data Center) but I started think about what we needed to see and since we have pretty extensive alerting, I wanted to see the worst of what's going on.  Like Down Node/Server/Infrastructure (ATSs,UPSs,KVMs,HVAC Units, etc. and extreame utilizations like interface/cpu/volumes), and we need to know the time at other offices.

Here's a screen shot of my first attempt, I'll add additional screens as we move forward, I'm thinking of past 24 hour temperature graphs from the datacenters and servers rooms.

JB

You have an office called "Sector Five"?   That's pretty awesome.

familyofcrowes

How are you doing with this now?  I have to do the same thing accross 5 52" monitors to display out to about 50 operations folks.   The idea you displayed above looks great.  Do you have any other improvments?

Thanks a bunch, your ideas are a big help!!

Congo

Different views across those 5 monitors or cloning the same view 5 times?

I find that everyone's NOC view is very situational.

We used to have a few different views and we rotated through tabs.

Only until recently did we switch to just one map view for the big monitor, and then a very customized homepage for NOC personnel to drill down.

zyontrific

Hi,

Just a quick question about setting up a NOC and using Orion to monitor it all. Are you monitoring your own
                          corporate networks or multiple 3rd party networks? We are looking to manage remote company sites that are not ours and
                          wondered the best way of doing that using a central management station for all of the sites also make it scalable for
                          the future. Security is maybe and issue and routing across VPN's/internet - this could add latancy etc... Any good
                          web sites for more info on this or is it each to their own? Any white papers for recommendations?

Thanks,

Z.

Congo

We use Orion to monitor our own network, and then we offer to delve past the WAN that we provide to our customers, and monitor their LAN. We do this over VPN's, and back to our Orion cluster.

We have found this works better than remote polling deployments. I would rather have poll data going across the wires instead of database data.

bleearg13

Hi,

Just a quick question about setting up a NOC and using Orion to monitor it all. Are you monitoring your own
                                corporate networks or multiple 3rd party networks? We are looking to manage remote company sites that are not ours and
                                wondered the best way of doing that using a central management station for all of the sites also make it scalable for
                                the future. Security is maybe and issue and routing across VPN's/internet - this could add latancy etc... Any good
                                web sites for more info on this or is it each to their own? Any white papers for recommendations?

Thanks,

Z.

Something you'll want to be aware of is that thanks to NAT, many corporate and private networks can and do overlap between customers.  There is really no good way around this unless you want the added administrative headache of mapping your own defined private networks for customer networks through a VPN (policy-based NAT).

zyontrific

NAT is something we would rather stay away from if we can but I know that may not be possible in the long term. Good point though.

I also like the idea of polling over the VPN rather than having a distributed Orion as some of our customers will be small so the cost of having separate servers for management would kill the budget. We are a small ompany ourselves and just moving into this arena and I have informed the purse holders it would be better to do it right than a cheap option and redesign the solution again in the future when we get more customers. Unfortunately short-sightedness is in the way and they don't see the bigger picture sooooo I don't see it getting off the ground to be honest. The company I work for are more into application development but realise it would be better if we could offer network support/monitoring as well.

Thanks for the great replies given me some ideas...