10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2010 3:18 PM by oborys

IP Network Browser Not Working

oborys

I am using Solarwinds Eng Toolset V10.  My IP Network browser fails to query any device.  It scrolls through trying to discover with each SNMP string and then only displays IP address and device name.  I cannot expand to see MIB or interface info.  SNMP strings are not only correct, but other parts of the software can use them just fine, for instance, the Performance Monitor.  Credentials test passes fine.

I can telnet from the IP browser to the device, ping it, Trace, and even download a config, but not with Solarwinds TFTP (another problem for another day).  I use pumpkin and it works fine.

I spent an hour on the phone with Tech Support to no avail.  I have uninstalled, reinstalled, repaired the install,  cleaned the registry, reentered SNMP strings and still cannot get it to work.

I hope someone has seen this before.  Any ideas?

Thanks and Regards,

O.

• Re: IP Network Browser Not Working

Oborys - In order for the IP Network Browser to discovery the device, it must support SNMPv1 and the sysObjectID (that is how we tell what it is).  You can use our SNMP MIB-Browser application (turn off V2 requests in the settings dialog) to see if it supports the sysObjectID field.

HTH,

Greg

oborys

Greg,

Thanks for the quick reply.  It appears to be a problem with the SNMP database.  I loaded the CPU Monitor and it did not see any of my configured community strings.  I manually added one and the Monitor started working.  I went back to the IP Browser and it suddenly was working as well. 

Is this a known issue????

Regards,

Olimpia  AKA O.

I have not heard of it, but I will investigate.

--Greg

oborys

This issue is now happening to a coworker running same version.  IP Browser used to work and just quit for no apparent reason.  Is this happening anywhere else?

Regards,

O.

Oborys - Can you define "just quit" a little better? Does it give you an error? Will it run? Is it the Workspace Studio version or the classic tool? Have you tried the other?

Thanks,

Greg

oborys

Greg,

IP Network Browser loads but when you attempt to do a scan, it scrolls through all the SNMP strings and settles on "public".  It only displays the device name and IP with no other data available.  Occasionally, you can load another tool like CPU Gauge and then Browser starts 'magically' working again.  This seems to be the exception rather than the rule though.

As a side note, if we use the Workspace Studio IP Browser Gadget, it works fine, except that gadget does not display port description information. 

None of the other SNMP based tools have issues just the browser.

Any help would be appreciated.

Olimpia Borys

aka, O.

Hi O - What are your SNMP timeout and retry settings set to?  Sometime on high latency nets or slow to respond devices, we can not recognize the device because it does not respond in time...

File Menu -> IP Network Browser Settings -> Preferences Tab -> SNMP section...

HTH,

Greg

oborys

Greg,

The settings are the same, I left them default.  Latency is not the issue here.  It doesn't even work for the campus switch that I'm directly connected to which effectively has no latency, or the local router which is 1-2 ms at most.  Just for verification though I did increase the timeout to 2000 ms and 4 attemps.  No change.

As I mentioned in earlier posts, I reinstalled (more than once) and the IP Browser works on first load and then not on subsequent loads.

The other reason this is baffling is that the Workspace Studio Gadget works without fail.  I am assuming that all other things being equal, the only difference is that it sits within what appears to be a java app.  Although I think it's using a different DB file for the SNMP strings, which still seems to be the issue to me.

We are running XP Pro SP2.

Thanks!

Olimpia

Can you email me a packet capture of it scanning a single device and the correct community string?

Thanks,

Greg

oborys

It would appear that this problem is resolved, although no one knows why.  It magically started working again.  It seemed to coincide with a corporate Windows patch recently.  The theory right now is that there was a patch applied to our workstations that caused the original behaviour and a subsequent patch has restored functionality.

Curiously, TFTP is working now as well.  I was using the Pumpkin TFTP service for awhile when SolarWinds TFTP failed.  The product right now is fully functional for both me and my co-worker.

Thanks for all the posts and suggestions.

Olimpia