This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

DHCP scope within a larger subnet

Hopefully someone can help me out with this, seeing how the Demo is almost over, and MGMT would like some results from this product.

Say we have an IP range... 10.66.130.0  /23

That will give 510 usable IPs.

Say we take the first hundred, and statically assign them to devices (server, switches, etc.)

Say we take the middle 200, and assign them as a DHCP scope.

Can IPAM help me determine just the number of DHCP assigned IPs that are being used?

I tried to go into my large IP range (130.0 /23) and select "IP Range" - add.

I type in the starting and ending IP range of the DHCP scope, but the save button stays greyed out.
Anyone have any suggestions?

• So here is one idea you could do with 1.0

• You can create three subnets and rename them as applicable.  
    • Category Corporate Office
      • Subnet - Static Systems - first 100 IP's
      • Subnet - Dynamic Systems - next 200 IP's
      • Subnet - Rest - last 210 IP's
    IPAM will then scan all the subnets just like it would a single subnet and you can create reports etc. based on DHCP subnets.
    Let me know if that makes sense.

• So here is one idea you could do with 1.0

• You can create three subnets and rename them as applicable.  
    • Category Corporate Office
      • Subnet - Static Systems - first 100 IP's
      • Subnet - Dynamic Systems - next 200 IP's
      • Subnet - Rest - last 210 IP's
    IPAM will then scan all the subnets just like it would a single subnet and you can create reports etc. based on DHCP subnets.
    Let me know if that makes sense.

I'm kinda in the same boat, but all our networks are /24s.  So say I have 192.168.100.0/24.  Within this range there are IPs set aside for DHCP, say .51 - .254.  Let's say printers are .20 - .50.  How would I go about entering those and keeping a mask of 255.255.255.0 and have a being and ending IP?

Thanks

• Anyone have an answer on this yet?  I created a group.  I then created a subnet and unchecked Add IPs.  Then I went to IP Range - Add, put in a starting and ending IP but the Save is still greyed out.

I can however create a subnet and have it add IPs.  Then I can go in, select a group of IPs and do an IP Range - Delete.  Kinda a long way around and still wonder why I can't add them.

• Baker,

Are you still runing IPAMv1.0? no service packs?

If so,.. then using Mozilla should enable that "greyed out" save button.

Once I upgraded to SP1, (SP2 is out now) I no longer had the save button issue.

• Sorry for delay, AlbanyNY is right, if you upgrade to latest SP you should be ok, if not, please let us know